Wireless Issue - Not Connecting

HLEE 21:27 06 Feb 10

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help me. I've had a Sony Vaio (Windows XP) laptop for about 18 months and during this time the wireless has worked perfectly.

Last month however the laptop wasn't connecting to the internet. The wireless switch was on but I could only connect via cable.

I spoke to some IT guys at Sky (internet provider) and I was told to access the Device Manager and unistall the driver under the Network Adapter header and re-start. Having done this once the laptop started again it 'found new driver device' and I had to put in the product key and bingo, it worked.

The problem is I have to uninstall the driver everytime I shut down and enter the product key when I start up otherwise I can't find networks to connect to. Unistaling prior to shut down works 8 times out of 10, but I can still run into problems and sometimes have to shut down 3 or 4 times.

It's very annoying and there's obviously something wrong, trouble is I don't know what or how to sort it out.

If anyone is able to help I would be very grateful, I'm in the Absolute beginners forum for a reason so take it nice and slow with me!!

Many thanks

MAJ 00:03 07 Feb 10

I would first try updating the network adapter's drivers, you should be able to locate them on the Sony site, post the exact model of your Sony Vaio if you want someone to locate them for you.

It's possible that the built-in network adapter is failing, using a USB network adapter instead would work if all else fails.

ame 01:10 07 Feb 10

Why do you need a product key - sounds like a licence? Do you mean a wireless network key (i.e password)click here may help you. If the wireless card in your Sony is still ok (might be dodgy as MAJ says) then try setting up an ad-hoc network.

HLEE 21:20 07 Feb 10

MAJ - I went on the Sony Vaio website and downloaded a driver update and this did nothing. I then saw the option to download the original driver and this worked!!

So a BIG thank you for your advice, I really really appreciate it!!

AME - Thanks for taking the time to read my question and making a suggestion.

Best wishes

HLEE

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…