Wireless issue!!!

punkassboy69 11:55 27 May 07

i have been using aol broadband thru a cable for a long time and i have recently bought a usb wireless adaptor. i installed it all fine and it has detected my conection and when i connect to it, it all looks fine in the task bar. but i cant connect to aol, it says check cable connections.. and i cant use the net at all!! i know this is all a bit vauge bt im a bit usless whe it comes to networking!!

Cheers

postie24 12:00 27 May 07

Have you entered the wep/wpa encryption key.

postie24 12:03 27 May 07

Once you have got your modem/router,set it up with the ethernet cable 1st.( Make sure the wireless is enabled on the laptop/PC ),should be showing an icon in system tray.Once online you will need to go into the router homepage.
Type 192.168.0.1 in the address bar in your browser,once open click on the wireless tab,then security/encryption where you will be asked for your user name and password.
Type in the wep key,normally found on bottom of router and click apply.
Then right click on the icon in system tray,view available networks,connect to yours and you will be asked for the wep key again,type it in,and you should be up and running

punkassboy69 23:18 28 May 07

i've tried this as best i can (think i did it right) and it still doesnt work!
i reset my router to its factory settings and went through the whole wireless setup process again and it all went fine, setting up the router, passwords etc until i got to the part where i had to unplug the ethernet cable and i get a message saying that it couldnt detect my USB wireless adapter and to check the drivers are installed properly!! i've reinstalled them several times and tried again but it still doesnt work!!

STREETWORK 06:34 29 May 07

Just a thought, did you delete the old cabled connection from control panel, network settings?

And

did you reconfigure email to use the new connection?

punkassboy69 10:56 04 Jun 07

no i didnt delete the old cable connection and i havnt reconfigure my email cos i use browser mail

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…