wireless issue

jaya 17:01 12 Oct 06

I have set up my 'new' BT Broadband using wireless but I keep losing wireless connection. Then I get a message adv me that there is more than 1 wireless network and to choose which one. Is this what is to be expected for the first 10 days or have I done something wrong in the original set-up?
I am using laptop which has good signal strength.
Thanks in advance for your help.

postie24 18:59 12 Oct 06

Hi there,the reason its askin you to choose which network is that your router is picking up network signals from your neighbours.Make sure you are only connecting to your network,as its illegal to connect up and use someone elses network.The reason you keep losing connection could be the position of your router or you are connecting to someone elses network.Make sure your network is secured by applying some form of encryption ie wep or wpa.You can do this via the router homepage.If you have trouble setting it up,contact bt and they will talk you through it.

Danoh 00:34 13 Oct 06

Wireless connections being dropped occasionally is a hazard of wireless networking due to many factors.
E.g. DECT cordless phones and microwave ovens operating on the same radio frequencies near to your router or computers.

I've found it helps if a "Preferred network" is setup for your own wireless network, as well as the radio channel being set to a different one to the nearest (strongest) neighbouring wireless network is using.

If you are using Windows wireless configurator, you can remove all wireless connections which have been setup on your laptop, by;

Start> Control Panel> Network Connections>
Right mouse-click on “Wireless Network Connections” and select “properties”.
Select the “Wireless Networks” tab.
"Remove" any “Preferred networks” entries you see in the box.

Then "Add" just one new “Preferred network” entry again, for your own network.
You should have wireless connection within a minute after that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…