Wireless issue

Garry35 17:12 10 Dec 05

we've just got a 2nd pc, which we're trying to link up wireless. Had a duff wireless card initially so checked wireless router with a friend's laptop. HE was receiving at least average 'reception' in the new pc room.

Installed a new card yesterday, which has been getting no/ v poor reception. I have been able to download mozilla, and login to email/ browse websites for a couple of hours til this morning. The connection dropped and we cannot re connect to the wirelss network. XP is finding the wireless network, but not connecting. Any suggestions?

The router is a speedtouch 585, the card is a generic pci card.

As an aside, this issue seemed to start after I loaded the Norton anit virus software i received with the pc. does this sound possible?

keewaa 22:13 10 Dec 05

Yes it does, Norton can cause endless problems or work very well ... looks like yours might be doing the former.

Garry35 11:54 11 Dec 05

hmm. how can i resolve this issue then?

keewaa 12:23 11 Dec 05

Remove Norton and install Zonealarm & free AVG ... just type them into google and you'll find them.

Garry35 15:59 11 Dec 05

I've removed Norton now, the pc will find the wireless connection (stating 1 bar of reception), but it still will not connect. As I mentioned above, the laptop we tested with had at least average reception where the pc is. Any further suggestions?

keewaa 19:20 11 Dec 05

1 bar of reception might not be enough. I suggest you move the PC to close to the router, until you have it fully working.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…