Wireless and IP address help please

georgezx9 21:08 06 Jan 08

Hi all thanks in advance

My son is at University, in his flat he has Orange Livebox for his broadband, he started playing with it and lost connection. he was messing about with static IP addresses and also port forwarding. It worked for a while and played even more now he has nothing.

The others in his flat get connected ok, as does his laptop.

His laptop uses the internal wireless adaptor and his PC uses a belkin.

We have tried IPconfig / renew and /release, but nothing.

When he came home over Christmas, (I have the BT homehub), I played with it and got nowhere, In the end I returned it to a previous restore point, and it worked well.

However when we went back to his flat, it still wont connect, again his laptop will. It continually says aquiring network. And gives an error that the IP address is already allocated.

When we do IPconfig we get IP address as 0.0.0.0
Some of the others also return 0.0.0.0, although cant remember which.

Help

George

TonyM 09:49 07 Jan 08

Try resetting the TCP/IP protocol on the machine that has the problem...go to the Run Command (Start/Run) and type the following...

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt ..press enter and then restart the machine.

Full instructions are here - click here

I had a similar problem with my son's laptop and it cured the fault straightaway.

Ashrich 18:50 07 Jan 08

If he has given it a static IP address then it is also probably being used by one of his flatmates , that's why DHCP works so well with many machines using the same router , or it is possible that the router has been returned to DHCP and he is still trying to use static , which may not be in a usable range set in the router , tell him to try using DHCP again by setting the PC to get it's IP and DNS automatically .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…