Wireless internet, what do I need?

Sparky3327 16:56 01 Mar 05

My current internet connection is via a USB broadband modem (Tiscali) but my wife wants to access the internet wirelessly using her laptop.
What hardware do I need for this?
I also have an ethernet adaptor installed in my latest pc but haven't known how to use it.
Cheers,
Grezza.

Jaymz87 17:03 01 Mar 05

As far as I'm aware, all you need is a Wireless Card for your missuses laptop, and a wireless router. Don't think you need anything else, as if you are in a wireless hotspot, all you need is a wireless card and you can connect to it.
Hope that helps

Sparky3327 17:14 01 Mar 05

How do these physically arrange?
Do I still use my USB modem in conjunction with the router or is it a modem in itself?

The Kestrel 17:20 01 Mar 05

When I set up a network between my PC and those of my wife and son, I decided to replace the USB modem supplied by Pipex for a combined wireless Modem/Router (Netgear DG843G). I now have my PC hard wired to the modem router, whilst both my wife and son have USB wireless adapters in their PCs. Using adapters rather than cards allows them to be transferred easily from one machine to another if necessary. Hard wiring the modem/router to your PC using the network card is faster than USB connections I believe.

Sparky3327 17:32 01 Mar 05

Will my ethernet adaptor come into use, or will it remain redundant?

The Kestrel 21:26 01 Mar 05

You use the ethernet connector at the back of your PC to connect to the modem/router by cable. The modem/router connects to the ADSL filter in the 'phone line socket. Only your wife's laptop will be connected wirelessly.

All the instructions for connecting up should come with the modem/router, as will the necessary software. I am far from an expert, but it took me less than an hour to set up my system.

Sparky3327 22:13 01 Mar 05

Thanks for your help, it's a lot clearer now.

G.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…