Wireless internet security,

Miros 05:08 03 Mar 07

Just been reading the following about security.
click here

I thought that wireless networks were more secure after reading this I'm not so sure. I note it says to switch off when not in use! Can anyone more knowledgeable than me confirm if say using Zonealarm it would be sufficient to stop all internet activity by clicking on the Red button in Zonealarm?

Failing that other than switching the whole machine off, or pulling the router plug out, are there any more simple sugestions anyone can add?

Thanks Miros.

Miros 05:42 03 Mar 07

click here
Have been reading this, afraid a lot of it goes over my head though I understand the basics.
I'm reluctant to mess inside the router settings, though looks like that is what's called for.

Miros 06:08 03 Mar 07

One thing leads to another!
Reading further an independent review gives the free Zonealarm thumbs down with some aspects of security, but OKs the pro version.

As a prefered alternative it recommends the free Kerio. At the moment the Kerio pro which is stronger I presume, is on offer at $20 approx, while the Zonealarm pro is on offer at approx' $40 Because of what I have read above I'm considering the Kerio pro at approx £10 at curent echange rate which does not seem a lot for the extra security. Any one got any comments please?

Miros 06:36 03 Mar 07

Now considering Comodo I like their philosophy for one thing and it comes with a thumbs up from.
click here

skidzy 08:50 03 Mar 07

I think you may be worrying a little to much,using your router and its hardware firewall and a decent software firewall like ZA or Kerio/Comodo coupled with your WEP/WPA encryption key should be more than enough for the average home user.

Having said that,there is a lot of what i would call scaremongering from these sort of pages you are reading,but is best to be aware of the potential risks.

Miros 09:55 03 Mar 07

I trust your right about this.

I see that my WEP is enabled automatically, but see the following...

" WEP is not difficult to crack, and using it reduces performance slightly."

Copied from my online security guide to Netgear.

As a matter of interest after many years if use, I have finally changed ZoneAlarm I favour of Comodo. So far so good, I like they way it operates. I trust it will do the do the business.

Border View 11:07 03 Mar 07

What sort of router do you have? Have you enabled the MAC address filter? Every little helps.

Border View 11:08 03 Mar 07

PS I use the Kerio and paid the £10 annual fee. I find it excellent.

Miros 12:57 03 Mar 07

I have a Netgear DG834GT router.
"Have you enabled the MAC address filter? Every little helps."
Answer: Don't know! I'm a bit clueless really.

Was considering Kerio paid for version till I read about Comodo in the link in my posting at [email protected]:36 above.

If you open that link up it will give you a break down on the performance levels of different firewalls. Comodo which is free gets a good report, but if you go to their web site and read
why they make it free you may understand why I like their philosophy.

CompXpert 18:48 03 Mar 07

Wireless Networks are in some ways less secure because you don't physically have to plug in your computer to anywhere.

OK, so you can do a few things to secure your wireless:

Set an encryption key, this can either be a WEP or WPA Key whichever your router and wireless networking adapter supports.

So layer one to join to your network they need an encryption key.

lets extend this further and add mac address filtering. This means even if they crack your encryption key they still can't use your network unless the physical address of their networking adapter is in your white list!

Another good tip is don't ever leave your router with factory default I.E. Netgear routers control panel log-in U: Admin P: Password

Finlay installing a 2 Way personal firewall on your computer system stopping unauthorized users IP addresses e.g. 192.168.0.25 from accessing your computer without being put through your personal firewall.

And to finish off if your on a Windows XP Pro PC and you are sharing folders on your network you can setup permissions to allow/deny certain users groups in your workgroup / domain access to them. click here

Good luck,

Ben Marshall.

Miros 18:57 03 Mar 07

Thank you for that, I have been out and had a few scoops with the lads. Will now turn off the PC and come back to your advice when I am better able to act on it:-) Yamos.

Thanks again. Miros.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…