Wireless Internet Problem

smashing_chains 16:41 02 Sep 07

Hi, I fairly recently got wireless internet for my PC, running Windows XP service pack 2 with a Belkin wireless g internal card and a NETGEAR wireless ADSL modem router (DG834G v2), at first my internet was fine running at 48Mb/s or 54Mb/s and excellent signal strength but then after maybe a week it started to deteriorate and the speed kept dropping and eventually disconnecting, after playing around with the settings in configure i managed to get it back to how it was at the start but again this problem occured, all the time though i have had excellent signal strength, however now the speed is general low, although not disconnecting that often but i cant access the internet even though it says im connected. I have downloaded the latest firmware and SSID is enabled. I am also using WPA-PSK to secure the connection.

click here

This is a screenshot of my IPConfig if it helps at all and IP routing is no longer enabled

Thanks in advance

Alex

mgmcc 17:25 02 Sep 07

1) For a start, I would suggest you uninstall TCP/IP version 6, which you don't need and which may cause problems when connecting to the router with (the normal) version 4.

Go to "Start > Run", type "ipv6 uninstall" without the quotes and click OK.

2) Try changing the Channel number in the router's wireless settings. You may be getting interference from other electrical devices, such as mobile/cordless phones, or from neighbouring wireless networks using the same channel.

smashing_chains 18:38 02 Sep 07

Right since that last post I've removed TCP/IP version 6 reconfigured my IP addresses as my gateway was the same as my IP address and i have also renewed my IP addresses but i still can't connect to the internet. I've got one computer connected directly that works fine but the wireless one is still having problems.

New IPConfig screen shot:
click here

thanks alot

alex

mgmcc 07:56 03 Sep 07

Two things:

1) If you are using Belkin's software, I would suggest you uninstall it and instead use Windows "Wireless Zero Configuration" to manage the wireless networking.

Go into Device Manager, highlight the Wireless Network Adapter and click the Uninstall button. Then go into "Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs" and uninstall the Belkin software.

Reboot and Windows should "find new hardware". Follow the wizard and select the option to install from a specific location. Insert the CD (if it automatically runs to install the software, close it) and "Browse" to the Drivers folder. Windows should then install only the adapter's drivers.

In the absence of any third-party wireless software, Windows will use "Wireless Zero Configuration" so there shouldn't be anything to set up in that respect. In the Network Connections folder, right click the Wireless Network Connection and select View Available Wireless Networks, highlight the one which matches your router's SSID and click the Connect button at the bottom of the window. You should be prompted for any WEP/WPA encryption key and should then be connected to the router and have internet access.

2) Remove any existing wireless 'profiles' and then go through the procedure to "Connect" again. (If you've changed from Belkin software to Wireless Zero Configuration, any profiles will probably already have been lost).

Your IPCONFIG details appear to be OK with the adapter getting its addresses from the router.

mgmcc 07:58 03 Sep 07

Regarding the "Removal" of existing wireless profiles, screenshot - click here

smashing_chains 01:23 04 Sep 07

Hey thanks alot I've finally got it working and am back online =D

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac