Wireless internet on laptop

lken 11:46 01 May 07

I have just bought a new laptop with Windows Vista on. I have a old PC (Windows XP)which I will probably get rid of shortly. At the moment I have AOL broadband on my PC. What do I need to do to access the internet wirelessly from my laptop. I know I need a wireless modem/router compatible with AOL, but in what order do I need to do things? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sebastian Ereira 13:30 01 May 07

Dear Iken,
Help is at hand.
You should contact aol and they might give you a free wireless router for £12.99 a month. just to add that £12.99 is for the broadband

postie24 18:59 02 May 07

Is the new laptop you have purchased wireless ready?

lken 11:47 03 May 07

Yes it is.

postie24 13:32 03 May 07

Once you have got your modem/router,set it up with the ethernet cable 1st.( Make sure the wireless is enabled on the laptop ),should be showing an icon in system tray.Once online you will need to go into the router homepage.
Type 192.168.0.1 in the address bar in your browser,once open click on the wireless tab,then security/encryption where you will be asked for your user name and password.
Type in the wep key,normally found on bottom of router and click apply.
Then right click on the icon in system tray,view available networks,connect to yours and you will be asked for the wep key again,type it in,and you should be up and running

lken 13:37 03 May 07

Thanks - I'll try that.

kindly 21:40 04 May 07

I have just had a lot of hasle trying to get a netgear modem router from AOL to work wirelessly with Vista and a Belkin wireless adapter. The disc that you get with the netgear router that AOL sent my freind would not give me the option of getting the key code to use when signing into it.
I had to use my disc from my netgear router so I could access the settings to get the code. There is a post in the "networking" forum about it.

irishrapter 16:43 05 May 07

Just a quick note on security:
Dont use WEP as its broken, if you can use WPA with a long pass phrase.
Also, change your admin password on the router.

Strawballs 17:28 05 May 07
  setecio 15:38 06 May 07

Strawballs - that forum-faqs is a nice site.

Do you know if it is being updated as there are alot of links with no content?

Strawballs 13:33 07 May 07

I don't know that site was setup by a member here (Ade.h) but I have not seen him about for a long time and that site seemed to stop being updated about the same time which is a shme becuse he knows his stuff.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now