Wireless Internet enquiry

FatboySlim71 07:47 18 Mar 07

My situation is this, I have a pc which i have connnected to my the Netgear DG834G wireless modem/router via an ethernet cable click here

My girlfriend is thinking of purchasing this laptop with Windows XP click here

The question I have is this, I currently have a 2MB AOL broadband gold internet connection which gives me a 225-230kbs download speed. If my girlfriend were to get this laptop and she connected it to my Netgear wireless modem/router, if we were both surfing the internet at the same time, would my download speed go down or would it remain at its normal level i.e 225-230kbs.

MAJ 07:55 18 Mar 07

If you both were surfing at the same time then no you wouldn't notice any difference.

If you were downloading and she was surfing only, then no, you wouldn't notice any difference.

If you were both downloading large files at the same time, then yes, you would notice a difference.

FatboySlim71 08:02 18 Mar 07

Thanks a lot MAJ for clearing that up for me, I should have mentioned in case you didnt know, but the laptop would be connected wirelessly to the Netgear DG834G wireless modem/router. Does this make any difference to your reply MAJ. Thanks again.

MAJ 08:09 18 Mar 07

No it shouldn't make a difference, FatboySlim71.

I really should amend my #2 senario to say that:

If you were downloading and she was surfing only, then, you might notice a tiny difference, but it'll be almost neglible.

MAJ 08:11 18 Mar 07

negligible

FatboySlim71 08:21 18 Mar 07

Thanks very much for the help MAJ, its much appreciated.

FatboySlim71 21:52 18 Mar 07

I was wondering if anyone else has used a pc and laptop in the same scenario as I would be.

Maundy 22:48 18 Mar 07

I have EXACTLY the same senario; a desktop (with Win98SE) cable connected to a Netgear DG834Gv2 and a notebook PC connected via wireless, using AOL Gold. Never had any problems with speed even though due to relative distance the laptop signal strength is sometimes only 'good' rather than 'strong'. Mind you, never tried syncronous downloads.

FatboySlim71 22:58 18 Mar 07

Thanks very much Maundy for your help, your answer has been very helpful because you have the scanario as I would be using the laptop in, thanks again, it has been much appreciated.

FatboySlim71 08:16 19 Mar 07

bump

Technotiger 08:28 19 Mar 07

Hi, I have the ssame system - main pc connected via Safecom Modem/Router with ethernet cable to pc and wireless connection to my partners laptop. We frequently surf and download at same times, never any bother at all. Plus, I have configered my printer and the laptop to work wirelessly as well - printer is connected in normal way to main pc, and my partner can print direct from laptop wirelessly, using the one printer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now