Wireless internet connection via laptop

pj123 17:45 18 Jan 06

If I buy a laptop (connect to the internet anywhere in the world). How do I do that? Is it free? If not how do they know who I am? How do I get charged for Internet connections?

ade.h 22:23 18 Jan 06

Sometimes it can be free, such as in a hotel that has wifi for guests. Sometimes it is a charged service, methods of which probably vary. Exact details of payment methods, I'm not sure about. I know the charged services must use an access key, for obvious reasons.

Sorry that my answer is a bit vague, pj, but at least it bumps you up from page 2!

wjrt 22:35 18 Jan 06

click here

as you can see it is definitely not free . you have to pay an isp or other provider for access. nothing is ever free. although believe at present if you live near a marina then an operator salled square mile is presently doing a free trial to drum up custom. internet cafe style think you would pay and they give you an access code for a given period or maybe for the number of bits you download or similar.

ade.h 22:51 18 Jan 06

It is definitely free in many hotel lobbies abroad. Though you could say that you are paying for it indirectly.

pj123 11:41 19 Jan 06

It's a friend who asked me about this. He has read the Ad "Now you can access the internet from anywhere in the world" etc...

I have tried telling him that you can't just sit on a park bench somewhere and press a button on the computer and get on the internet.

He would have to have an ISP account, surely?

Is there such a thing as a Universal ISP he could get an account with?

I try to explain that it compares with his mobile phone. His phone provider in the UK has to have some sort of arrangement with other providers overseas.

Am I going down the right road here? I don't know much (nothing) about these laptops with wireless technology.

Batch 14:05 19 Jan 06

At home (for example), you would have a wireless broadband router (or equivalent setup) and, if you've got any sense, you would make this secure and then only you (and people you explictly give access to), could connect wirelessly.

Cafes, bars, hotels often have similar set-ups, but either with (typically) no security (so you can connect for free) or with some sort of time limited access (using an access code) which may or may or may not be secure. In the latter case you pay directly (by paying for the time limited access code) or indirectly (by buying a cup of coffee or renting a room that entitles you to the current, time limited, access code)

Alternatively, with a something like a Vodaphone 3G card (which I think downloads at 384kpbs), you can "dial-up" over the mobile phone network (in which case you would be paying the mobile phone company). This is very much like a dial-up modem from a home computer, except that you usually pay per megabyte downloaded rather than the connection time.

ade.h 14:17 19 Jan 06

£2 per MB in the UK.

pj123 14:44 19 Jan 06

Thanks for all that info Batch, so now, I don't think he needs to use the laptop to access the internet.

Most of his business comes from Germany, Holland, Belgium, France and Spain. He has a house in Germany which he uses as a base. All he wants to do is access his emails when he is out of the UK. He has a Hotmail account which can be accessed from anywhere. He doesn't want a permanent "static" computer in the German house, which is why he is looking at laptop.

He is an avid "digital" photographer and would like to spend non business time at his German home, downloading, editing and printing photographs. I am trying to convince him that his email access is secondary.

Not sure where to go from here. If it was me, I don't think I would bother with a computer at all. I would just go to an Internet Cafe and use their facilities. Probably cheaper than setting up an ISP. Note: this person is very pedantic and whatever I suggest, if it is different to what he thinks he wants, he won't go with it.

Batch 15:22 19 Jan 06

Assuming he has a landline phone at the German house, I would have thought he could just sign up for a free dial-up ISP (equivalent of wanadoo, tisclai etc. in the UK) and then he would just pay for the phone calls. It'll only be 56kbps, but better than nought for ad hoc use.

pj123 15:45 19 Jan 06

Batch, yep. Told him that as well, but will any wireless ready laptop also have an analogue modem in it as well.

Stay with me mate. You are giving me some very useful info.

This guy is absolutely brilliant at what he does. He is the only person in the whole world (yes, the whole world) who makes and supplies the product that he has.

When it comes to computers though (well that's another story).

ade.h 16:22 19 Jan 06

Most laptops still come with dial-up modems included.

Your third line has intrigued me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced