Wireless Internet Connection with 98se

leek73 18:23 17 May 06

Hi everyone,

Would some kind and intelligent soul out there please help me.

My trouble is with a PC running Windows 98se trying to connect to the internet via a Belkin Wireless G 802.44g USB network adapter.

I seem to have successfully installed the Belkin software as the tray icon is blue. Plus, the 'Wireless Monitor' is saying I am connected to the correct network with a strong signal and the following details:-

DHCP Status: Enabled
Current IP:
Subnet Mask:
Default Gateway: -
DNS Server: -

Running winipcfg through the command prompt confirms these details.

However, I have no joy in getting Internet Explorer to get online. I have tried a number of network setting and none seem to work.

There is a XP pc and a mac using the same router with no trouble, so I know the problem is with this machine.

I have to admit that I am groping around in the dark. If someone could give me some pointers from here I would be very grateful.

mgmcc 19:58 17 May 06

Have you actually "Connected" to the wireless network? In other words, have you run the Belkin software, scanned for "Available Wireless Networks", found and highlighted the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and selected the option to "Connect" to it? Once "Connected", the wireless adapter should get its IP address by DHCP from the router and you should have network and internet access.

There is a difference between the Wireless Network Adapter and Router communicating with a good signal and "Connecting" (as in "logging in") to your Wireless network.

At the moment the "169.254" IP address indicates that the wireless adapter has failed to obtain its IP address from the router and Windows has allocated a default IP address. This will not let you access the network/internet. Once "Connected" to the wireless network, the adapter should get an address from the router which will probably be a "192.168.x.x" address.

leek73 15:04 21 May 06

Cheers for the reply mgmcc

Your comments made me realise that I wasn't 'connected' to the network after all, just detecting it.

After loads of playing around with settings, I am now able to get online through that pc.

Thanks a lot

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…