Wireless internet connection

lauzc69 18:03 27 Aug 07

I'm needing a bit of advise!

We have a computer which is connected to the internet with Virgin. It's the broadband that's not connected to the phone line. I don't really want to change this.

I also have a laptop which I want to connect to the net.

Previously, when living back at home (before moving back in with my parents) we had a router which hooked straight up to the phone line and pc, then we had someone come out and set it up.

I'm a bit confused how this would work because of the vigin not connecting straight to the phone line. The fitting is almost like a tv ariel?

Can anyone advise me how i'd go about setting this up please?

Thanks!

brundle 18:17 27 Aug 07

You need a cable router. Your broadband signal still goes into the BB modem, then that is connected to the router, finally the router provides the shared wired/wireless signal to your computer(s).
Something like this would do the job; click here

bremner 18:19 27 Aug 07

You would need to purchase a cable router like this click here.

You make a connection from the Cable Modem to the Router.

lauzc69 18:23 27 Aug 07

Ah okay. That looks like what we had before but the guy got rid of the tiscali modem thing they sent us and just hooked everything into the router.

So you don't actually have to do that?

Would it be easy enough to set up yourself? I had a go last time and didn't have a clue what was going on!

brundle 18:26 27 Aug 07

Yes, simple to set up, just follow the instructions.
You might need to do some configuration if you want wireless internet, but again, instructions are fairly straightforward.

keef66 15:03 04 Sep 07

It's so easy I managed it. Just unplug the pc from the cable modem and insert the router so you have modem-router-pc connected. Now you can plug additional pc's in to the router and share the internet connection

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…