wireless internet conection help!!!

tonick 20:21 21 Feb 07

Please help!
I'm trying to set up a wireless network for a friend. They have a Dell Dimension 8200 PC (Windows XP) connected to the internet via a (broadband) BT Voyager 105 USB ADSL Modem & a new Toshiba A100 Laptop (Windows Vista) which they want to use wirelessly.
So, i've set up a network on the laptop (the PC has no ethernet connection) & configured a D-Link Wireless router (DSL-G624T) which is connected to the phone line and laptop via ethernet.
The laptop finds the wireless network and connects to it, however I still can't get any internet pages up. Am I missing something really simple? Any info gratefully received! :o)

Ashrich 21:25 21 Feb 07

I assume you have disconnected the ethernet from the laptop before you try to connect wirelessly ? There would be an IP address conflict with both wireless and ethernet connected at the same time . Try temporarily disabling the laptop's firewall while trying to get the Internet ( Control Panel/Security Centre/Firewall )

Ashley

tonick 17:20 22 Feb 07

Thanks Ashley, will give that a go this weekend
Will post back when given that a try

Strawballs 18:37 22 Feb 07

click here

I know this is a kop out but it save me a lot of typing:)

tonick 18:22 25 Feb 07

Tried all of the above with no joy. Don't know what to try anymore - may just smash the things up!!! :0)

Woolwell 19:44 25 Feb 07

Am I reading this correctly?

The Desktop has a USB Modem and the laptop is trying to use the D-Link Router. They could be fighting one another. What happens if you disconnect the BT Voyager?

I would drop the BT Voyager out of the set up and connect the Dell and the laptop to the D-Link and the laptop wirelessly (another adaptor needed?) Having put the internet settings into the DSL-G624T I would disable all firewalls at first to make sure connections are working and then enable them.

Woolwell 19:53 25 Feb 07

I should have stated that I don't think it is possible to have the BT Voyager and the D-Link connected to the internet at the same time.

Woolwell 19:57 25 Feb 07

Are you sure that the PC doesn't have a network card? The specs for a Dell 8200 indicate that it may well have one.

tonick 20:36 25 Feb 07

It's a long story but basically I'm not using the PC and just setting up the network for the laptop so the PC and BT voyager are surplus to requirements at the moment and not connected. Thanks for the reply.

Strawballs 22:14 26 Feb 07

Have you set up the modem/router to the ISP click here

tonick 17:41 27 Feb 07

Yes have done that based on the info from BT. The laptop finds and connects to the router with no problems.
Have also noticed that now when i turn the lap top on am now getting 2 error messages :-

AirGCFG.exe - Entry Point Not Found
X The procedure entry point apsGetInterfaceCount could not be located in the dynamic link library wlanapi.dll
&
WZCSLDR2.exe - Entry Point Not Found
X The procedure entry point apsInitialize could not be located in the dynamic link library wlanapi.dll
I presume these 2 are part of the problem also - Can anyone help?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5