wireless internet access

westgolf 19:30 22 Aug 10

Please help, I have a new acer laptop. I want to connect to the internet via wi-fi & my router which works fine with wi-fi & my desktop computer & also with wi-fi via another (very old laptop). The new laptop simply wont connect at anything over a 4 metre distance, yet the other computers will & give a 5 bar connection signal rating. The acer (at 4 metres)only shows 3 bars at the identical position within the house that the other computers perform well at. The acer siml;y wont connect & when I attempt to diagnose it goes to weak signal & solutions ?? Any ideas please ? Many thanx .

howard64 21:09 22 Aug 10

have you looked in device manager and seen if their are any yellow marks? If all appears ok try uninstalling the wifi in the laptop and rebooting. It should then be automatically installed and may be fine. If not it may be that the wifi driver needs to be updated.

woodchip 21:22 22 Aug 10

Yes buy a USB WiFi dongle

Ashrich 23:16 22 Aug 10

If it's new I suggest you take/send it back to get the problem sorted out .

Ashley

onthelimit 08:48 23 Aug 10

I had a similar problem with a new netbook - had the wireless adaptor changed and it was fine. Warranty job!

westgolf 17:57 23 Aug 10

Please tell me how to update the wi-fi driver ? Thanx !

MAJ 18:34 23 Aug 10

"Please tell me how to update the wi-fi driver ? Thanx !"

You'll need to update the Wi-Fi card's drivers. Go to the manufacturer's website and download the relevant driver for your card, then install it. How you install it depends on the type of file it is. If it's an exe file, double-click it to install. If it's a Zip file, you'll need to unzip it first.

MAJ 18:35 23 Aug 10

Having said that, the card could be faulty, if so, drivers will make no difference, but you need to try drivers first.

westgolf 07:30 28 Aug 10

Sorted, many thanx to all for assistance, drivers needed updating.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…