Wireless Internet Access

mEmo99 08:36 26 Mar 07

I can connect to the internet from my laptop when i have a network cable connecting me to my wireless modem router, but when i try to do so wirelessly (i can see the wireless connection is excellent and it has accepted my encryption key) it won't connect to the internet.

Any ideas would be appreciated...

Taff™ 08:51 26 Mar 07

Disable the Ethernet Adapter from Network connections. Close down your Laptop and unplug your router for a few minutes. When the router is booted and the LED`s are settled - reboot your laptop. This will force the router to allocate a valid IP address in the range 192.168.1.x

mEmo99 10:44 27 Mar 07

Thanks for this, i've done as you suggested, but with no joy.
Is there a specific sequence i should reconnect and enable cables and adaptors once i've switched the modem back on?
When i run ipconfig from DOS it comes back with a few details including my subnet mask being 255.255.255.255 and both my ip address and gateway as 0.0.0.0
It does say that my ip routing is disabled, should this be enabled?
Do you have any other ideas that may help?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:28 27 Mar 07

What router? Orange Livebox?

Try setting the router to WPA only (not WEP + WPA).

mEmo99 12:27 27 Mar 07

Thanks for the tip.
I've got a speedtouch 580 wireless modem router supplied by DEMON
It won't connect wirelessly when the security is disabled either, via an ethernet cable it goes in fine.
I have a second laptop that connects to the interenet with and without encryption at the house. I've tried to replicate the details from ipconfig /all in the failing laptops wireless properties, but with no luck.
Any other things i can try?

Greengage 16:11 27 Mar 07

Should not the subnet mask be 255.255.255.0?

mEmo99 17:00 27 Mar 07

I've got some more accurate detail by running ipconfig /all on my other laptop. I have tried manually setting the ip address, gateway and subnet mask and the DNS servers, but i still can't get the internet despite having an excellent connection to the router.
I'm loathed to do it, but is the only asnwer to wipe the router and reload everything from the CD?
I logged in to the router and could see the wireless adaptor of my 2nd laptop and the ethernet adaptor of my problem laptop. Should there be an entry for my wireless adaptor in here?

skidzy 17:06 27 Mar 07

Could this be something as simple as a firewall blocking the connection,Try disabling the firewall,and your Antivirus briefly.

skidzy 17:09 27 Mar 07

Something you could try:

On the laptop that is ok,goto Control panel and select Wireless network setup wizard and add to your network/follow the prompts...you will need a flash/pen drive or memory card if you have readers on both machines.

mEmo99 19:24 29 Mar 07

Still no joy! Antivirus and firewall have been disabled and still i can't get on...
Previously i have been able to take my laptop anywhere and connect fine.
any other ideas? anyone?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple