Wireless internet

dazc 18:53 16 Aug 05

Recently been purchased a new sony laptop for work. It has built in wireless lan. Would like to know what i would need so that i can access internet on laptop. Have 1Mb broadband. Recently tried to ask in a shop but they didn't seem to have a clue and just seemed to be intrested in selling me three of the most expensive things in that area. Any help would be greatful.

Forum Editor 19:36 16 Aug 05

the broadband service between two computers - your main PC and your laptop?

That being the case, and assuming you want to be able to use the laptop at various locations within a building, I suggest that you buy a wireless ADSL modem/router combination, and that's it - you can connect the PC to the router with an ordinary Ethernet cable plugged into the PC's network card - I assume it already has one?

The Sony will pick up the wireless signal immediately as long as the router is turned on, and in range.

As to routers - there's plenty of choice, but I recommend you consider Belkin, Linksys or Netgear.

dazc 18:38 18 Aug 05

Thanks for that. Is there any way of knowing whether or not i have an ethernet point. Would this be the connection next to the phone line in?

ToniMac 18:36 24 Aug 05

Most newish Pcs' will have an RJ45 connection. Your Router will come with the RJ45 cable which will connect to your PC. If your PC doesn't have one they're only around £5 and quie east to fit.

Regards
TM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…