Wireless Internet

Shank 17:02 25 Mar 05

I currently have AOL Broadband Silver and have just puchased a 3com wireless pc card and 3com router. I have taken the cable out of my AOL filter and installed the card and router. When I try and access the internet via the route nothing happens. Any ideas anyone?

Diodorus Siculus 17:26 25 Mar 05

click here for the Network forum - there may be something there.

jimmer409® 17:31 25 Mar 05

you said router, does the unit have a built in asdl modem, if not you will have to buy an ethernet one.

Shank 17:51 25 Mar 05

how do i tell?

georgemac © 18:44 25 Mar 05

what model number is the router? it will be on the box or on the back of the router somewhere

even if it dows have anadsl modem you will need to log in to the router and enter your isp settings - the instructions for this will be in the manual

georgemac © 18:46 25 Mar 05

also do you have more than 1 pc? have you connected the router to the pc using an ethernet cable, or have you just connected the router to the phone socket and fitted the wireless card to the pc to communicate wirelessly with the router?

jimmer409® 19:01 25 Mar 05

still waiting to hear if the router has a modem, if not, return it, if it does, get back and we'll try to help you sort it out

Shank 10:09 26 Mar 05

Answers to the above questions - 1) The make and model of the router is 3Com ADSL 11g Wireless Firewall Route. 2) I cant seem to logon to the router the instruction leaflet isn't very helpful. 3) I am only using one tap-top, I will not be connecting anymore. 4) The route is connected to the phone socket and I have installed the card into the laptop.

georgemac © 10:53 26 Mar 05

click here is this the one?

I see now you want to connect wirelessly from the laptop from anywhere in the house and leave the router connected to the phone socket?

on the laptop has the wireless adaptor detected the wireless network being broadcast by the router?

and have you connected between the laptop and router with an ethernet cable (should have been supplied in the box?)

will be back when I find more info about 3com routers

georgemac © 10:56 26 Mar 05

I am tyring to downlaod the manual - but need a specifict model number for the router - from the router itself, the manual or the box it came in

my netgear I log in by typing in click here in my browser window then input the user name and password which is in the user manual, then I can enter my isp account name and password so the router can connetc to my ISP

§ 11:02 26 Mar 05

I know this sounds stupid, but have you pressed your laptop wi-fi button to activate the connection? (I omitted this initially and couldn't understand why I couldn't access the internet...doh!)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…