wireless internet with 1 laptop and no pc??

paultildsley 15:15 22 Feb 06

hi if anyone could help that would be great! i'm looking to set up a wirelss network in my apartment so i can use my laptop (my only computer) in any room without having to keep unplugging and moving the broadband modem. is it possible to do this, maybe connecting a printer wirelessly aswell? the laptop has a spare pcmi (think thats what it's called) slot in the side, so i need a wireless card and router i think, any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated

BigMoFoT 15:48 22 Feb 06

It's possible - as you said you'll need a router and a PCMCIA wireless adapter - you could use a USB adapter but they tend to stick out further and are prone to be knocked...In terms of a printer you can purchase a router that also has the ability to share a printer via a USB port on the router - but these tend to be a lot more expensive

paultildsley 16:37 22 Feb 06

thankyou very much, will any wireless router and pcmi card do or are there any you would recomend? and finally is it easy to set up? do you just plug the usb broadband modem into the router?

keewaa 16:45 22 Feb 06

I'd go with the same make of each and you're less likely to run into problems.

Assuming your are on adsl (and not cable ntl telewest) something like the belkin F5D7632UK with F5D7010UK or Netgear DG834G with WG511

keewaa 16:46 22 Feb 06

and, no , you bin the usb modem as an adsl modem is built in (make sure you get one that has a modem built in like the models mentioned above)

paultildsley 16:50 22 Feb 06

i have tesco broadbnad, will it work with the modem that is built in or do you have to use the usb modem?

keewaa 18:59 22 Feb 06

Tesco BB is adsl so you can bin the USB modem and use the products I mentioned.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…