Wireless-ing a USB ADSL modem

Pier1 13:46 08 Mar 05

Ok here's the deal:
I want to share an ADSL connection wirelessly.

I could go out and get a wireless ADSL router with built-in modem e.g the Netgear DG834G, but I already have a USB ADSL modem and am looking for a cheap option that, if possible, incorporates this.

I'm aware of wireless routers that you can plug an ethernet modem into but I obviously can't use one. Are there any w/less routers that take a USB modem?

If not, are there any decent wireless 54g ADSL modem routers like the Netgear one, but for £40 or less?

Minkey1 15:15 08 Mar 05

Pier

I posted this last year in response to someone's query on a similar topics:

"We have a desktop on XP Home, and a laptop on XP Pro, which came with 802.11b built in. I got a Linksys USB11 .11b adapter (approx £50) for the dt, enabled ICS on it to share the broadband connection, and set the printer to share. The young un can wirelessly surf and print, all works fine, for £50 cant be bad. Points: 1. This is called an ad hoc/peer to peer set up. The dt needs to be on all the time. Otherwise you're looking at adapters for each, plus an access point. 2. Your firewall MUST be configured to allow the remote kit to get access. 3. WEP adds additional security preventing any passing tosser outside to use your network. 4. Despite the hype, set up isn't straightforward, I think due to the many different ways it can be done. Gaz's suggestion of using XP's wizard takes some of the aggro out of it.
Good luck !"

Part of the rationale then was that we still had the original Speedtouch adsl USB modem supplied by BT, so I wanted to do it as cost effectively as possible. I'd probably go for an 11.g adapter now (similar price anyway) as 2 more laptops we've bought since have 11.g built in. However, I have to say that for surfing & printing, 11.b is fine. I'm keying this in the lounge on the wife's lappy, the main machine & modem being about 20' away.

To sum up:
1. Wireless for 40/50 quid.
2. Desktop needs to be always on.
3. The d/t firewall needs to allow access.
4. Set ICS/File/printer sharing as reqd.
5. Set up encryption if you can.
6. SP2 gives more ease/stability.

Mike

FelixTCat 15:31 08 Mar 05

If you already have a USB modem, you can use the computer that it is plugged into to share the internet connection. Into the computer you can fit either a pci wireless card, e.g. click here
and a similar card into other desktop pcs or a USB wireless adapter, e.g. click here
and a similar adapter in each other pc, or a mixture of the two.

You then run the network wizard on the pc with the broadband connection and follow the instructions. Make sure that your firewalls do not block the connections.

Pier1 16:12 08 Mar 05

Thanks for the responses guys.

However, the reason for the wireless network is that all the PCs (including the desktop) are going to be in a different room as the phone line and modem. That is why I need to connect the modem into a router (or have a stand alone modem-router) rather than into a PC.

FelixTCat 16:55 08 Mar 05

As far as I know, you can't connect a USB modem to a router - it needs a pc. I also don't know of an adsl wireless router for that price.

This one is cheap: click here but it is only 11b - 11 Mbit/sec. That is fine for internet sharing but slow (these days) for file sharing.

The cheapest 11g models are about £65 (click here)

However, if you have an old computer lying around, you could use that as a router. All you would need is 2 USB2 ports, then set it up as above.

Pier1 17:35 08 Mar 05

Haven't got a spare PC with 2 USBs. I assume I need one USB for the modem and one for a wireless adaptor?

I do however have a spare laptop with PCMCIA slots, in which I could slot a wireless card and a PCMCIA/USB adaptor for the USB modem...

FelixTCat 19:18 08 Mar 05

If you have any spare pc, a USB2 pci card is pretty cheap. Otherwise, the laptop would probably work, but would be much more expensive if you have to buy the adapters.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…