Wireless ICS over two computers

jonwhite 22:50 28 Jun 05

I have a desktop and a laptop both running XP - Each has a Belkin Wireless USB Adapter. The broadband connects directly to the desktop PC (no router) - Both computers can acess the internet and each others files without problem. Just like har hardwired computer to computer cross-over connection.

I have since tried to set up the same configuration on 2 computers running Windows ME but cannot get anything, no file sharing, no internet access, nothing. It seems to be a question of setting the computers network IP address, default gateway etc but I seem to be somewhat stuck. Can anyone point me in the right direction for configuring the two ME computers to talk to each other.

mgmcc 08:56 29 Jun 05

Have you installed "Internet Connection Sharing" in the Host Windows ME PC? It is a bit more complicated than in XP (where you simply tick the box "Allow other network users...etc") in that you have to install the ICS protocol.

Go into "Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Windows Setup > Internet Tools > Internet Connection Sharing and tick the box. (That's actually in Win 98SE because I don't have ME installed but it should be very similar.) Then, follow the on-screen instructions but, as with XP, the Host PC's network adapter will be given the IP address and the Client should be set to get its address automatically.

As usual, any firewall software needs to be configured to allow access to the IP addresses of the networked computers and, if using Zone Alarm in the "Host" PC, its Internet Zone Security level needs to be reduced from High to Medium or ICS traffic will be blocked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…