Wireless- How do I set it up?

yankeesrus 23:51 14 May 07

I have recently hooked up my router to my laptop via Ethernet cables, and I have been trying to get wireless connection. Unfortunately, though I am a decent troubleshooter, I have no idea where to start. I would try to hook up to wireless connection, but it says "acquiring network address". What steps would I need to take upon myself to enable my wireless capability? (On another forum, I asked, and they asked if I had WPA or not; I have WPA).

Forum Editor 00:00 15 May 07

Forgive me if I include stuff that you've already covered.

1. Connect router to computer, using the cable provided with the router.

2. Turn on both router and computer, and connect the router to your ADSL phone line.

3. Launch your browser, and follow the steps outlined in the router's setup manual. You'll be entering your ISP login details as part of this process.

When you've finished, and saved the settings to the router's memory, you'll be able to see the router making a connection to your ISP. At that stage you'll be able to use the internet.

Now you can disconnect the cable connection to your laptop, and allow the built-in wireless adapter to find and connect to the router. That's it in a nutshell.

yankeesrus 00:14 15 May 07

i'm not sure, but I have a modem tied into this equation (modem>router>laptop).
this may be a dumb question, but does the cable provided with the router specifically have to be used, or can you use another ethernet cable.
i've tried disconnecting the previous connection before but i still need a network address
sorry if i sound dumb, but this stuff is not fun for me, more a learning process
any answers would be appreciated!

fitshase 18:39 15 May 07

Is your router an ADSL router or a Cable router (are you with BT or Cable).

If you have an ADSL router then it has a modem built in so you plug that into the phone socket.

yankeesrus 19:55 15 May 07

cable router

PUNKA 21:27 15 May 07

Right lets see if I can help, forget what the previous guy said about ADSL,just connect the grey patch cable from the back of your cable modem straight to the green slot on the wireless router, then after plugging the other cable into 1 of the blue slots on the back of the wirelss router, connect the cable to your desktop computer in the phone slot above the green speaker slot.(it must not be in the bottom phone slot b'cos this will not work !!

Strawballs 02:43 17 May 07

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac