Wireless home networking

eikonuj 11:49 10 Feb 04

I have BT broadband on my PC at 576Kbps,using an Alcatel Speedtouch modem, my wife has a laptop.What hardware do I need to get an 'always on' wireless broadband connection for the laptop and PC,irrespective of whether the PC is on or not.I believe I need a router, should I put it in the attic, midway or on the ground for best all round signal? We have a 'standard' 3 bed semi.An effective network,not cost (up to a point),is the overriding factor.

LeadingMNMs 12:09 10 Feb 04

I suggest you do a search on this as there have been many of the topics over the last day or two.

A router is the best option using a built in ADSL modem. I use 802.11b (11Mbps) and this works over both floors (with excellent signal strength) from one side of the house to the over and should have a range of 120 metres. The faster technologies (802.11a or g) have a shorter range and are more secure. A simple network using the 'b' technology should only cost around £100 if your prepared to shop around and get differenet components from differenet manufacturers.

Therefore the router can be placed anywhere you like, though near a phone socket would be useful. The router could be connected directly via ethernet cable to the PC and then a wireless NIC could be placed in the laptop, or both computers could have a wireless card. Neither computer is needed for the other to gain internet access.

Hope this helps

eikonuj 12:26 10 Feb 04

Many thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…