Wireless Home Network 'Speed'

sjl17 21:44 29 Jul 05

I'm going to set up a wireless network (3 PC's, 1 Notebook) to share an ADSL Broadband connection. I've priced up the kit with Ebuyer as £181.50 for the 800.11g (54 mbps) and £200.65 for the 800.11g(108 mbps). My question is - is it worth getting the 108 mbps one? Will I notice any difference between the two if the network is going to be mainly used for Broadband sharing over 3 PC's and a laptop?

mgmcc 16:47 30 Jul 05

For "internet access" it won't make the slightest difference. With broadband connections running at the relatively slow speed of up to about 2Mbps, even 802.11b at 11Mbps is well above that speed.

Where the speed would be significant is if you are likely to do much file transferring between computers.

Also, depending on locations, it isn't always necessary to connect *all* of the networked computers "wirelessly". Any that are permanently located close to the router can be connected by conventional ethernet cables.

Gaz 25 14:14 04 Aug 05

On my network, I have 8mb internet.

On a 54g WPA network at home, fired through a Draytek router and cisco switch.

I get throughput via the net, at about 4Mb, not 8. Wired pc's get about 8.

I think there is quite an overhead in wireless networks.

Even a 100mbps LAN can only handle 5Mbps max speed cont. - the 100mbps is burst speed.

A 54mb wireless lan, should transfer about 1/2 mb cont. while burst maybe 4/5mbps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…