Wireless home network setup

tingle 21:30 15 Jul 03

I've just set up a wireless access point on my adsl connection. I have a desktop connected (running XP) and a laptop connected (running Windows 98). Both are able to access the internet fine. However currently I cannot access files on one computer from the other. What do I need to do to set this up (securely)? I'd like to be able to access the 'my documents' folders on either computer from the other machine. Also I'd like to be able to print from the laptop, with the printer is connected to the desktop.

Thanks in advance for any help!

tingle 21:32 15 Jul 03

...currently, I can't even see the other computer in the network folder

jazzypop 21:50 15 Jul 03

Have you disabled all firewalls?

Right-clicked a folder on each PC and selected Sharing?

tingle 22:08 15 Jul 03

I haven't, no. But isn't diabling all firewalls a security risk?

I'm no computer buff (as I'm sure you can tell). I think my desktop has XP's firewall enabled, I've just installed Zygate Personal Firewall and ZoneAlarm on my laptop (win 98) tonight, but that's after I tried and failed to get the networking working. I think my D-Link DSL500 modem/router has a built in firewall too.

Which of these must I disable, and how??

Apologies for my total ignorance!

jazzypop 22:12 15 Jul 03

Personally, I would uninstall both Sygate and ZoneAlarm, then enable Sharing, then just re-install Sygate.

If you are concerned about security (3 firewalls? - I guess you are) then simply disconnect the cable from the phone line to the router while you do this, then re-connect once all is set up OK.

Sygate will either disable or co-exist with your XP firewall, and get along just fine with your Router's firewall.

accord 22:12 15 Jul 03

wouldnt using the same firewall help?

tingle 22:21 15 Jul 03

So, just to be clear...

Do I need software firewalls on either the desktop or laptop if my modem/router has a firewall?

If so, you suggest I just use windows XP's own firewall on the desktop and Sygate on the laptop (w98)?

jazzypop 22:29 15 Jul 03

Not quite...

I suggest using Sygate on both the laptop and the desktop.

Yes, you need the software and the hardware firewalls, for complete protection.

Software firewalls check whether you have granted permission for a specific *program* to send or receive (e.g. your email program, your browser etc).

Hardware firewalls (such as your router) check whether the address of the sending or receiving PC is valid. It doesn't care which program from the PC is sending, just whether the PC has permission (e.g. a PC on your network initiating outbound comms, or a PC outside your network, such as a website, answering a request that was initiated by a PC on your network).

I hope that is clearer - let us know if any part is still unclear :)

tingle 00:19 16 Jul 03

Much clearer thanks. I'll try your advice re. uninstalling firewalls, enabling sharing and then reinstalling sygate tomorrow, and then let you know if it worked.

One more thing - should this (i.e. right-clicking and selecting sharing) work for printing too?

jazzypop 22:46 16 Jul 03

Go to Start > Printers and Faxes. If your printer has an icon showing a hand supporting the printer, then your printer is shared. If not, simply right-click the printer and select Sharing.

tingle 18:04 17 Jul 03

okay, this is driving me mad.

I went through the XP network wizard, setting up a network, and then made the network floppy disc, duly ran that on the laptop.

I now have a network on the desktop, but it can only see itself, and a network of the same name on the laptop, which also can only see itself. Also, somehow after playing round with things, I can no longer access the internet from the desktop.

Please help!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…