wireless home network problem

simon123 23:12 19 Jan 05

have broadband wireless router so that i can use work laptop and home pc together and use printer connected to pc from laptop. no problem accessing broadband but can't see pc or printer from laptop. have set up printer sharing but no joy. pc uses XP home and laptop uses 2000 professional.

LeadingMNMs 23:16 19 Jan 05

If you have a firewall on the either computer then this probably needs configuring to allow network traffic.

llewrab 23:33 19 Jan 05

Not wishing to teach you to suck eggs, but have you tried running the Network Setup Wizard on the XP Machine? At the end it will offer to let you make a copy on a floppy disk so that you can run the wizard on the Win2000 machine.

If this doesn't help, LMNM's suggestion above is a good start.

simon123 19:40 20 Jan 05

thanks for suggestions - xp wireless network wizard requires the usb flash media plugging into the router but my router (BT broadband) doesn't have a usb port. I have tried using the usb flash media on the laptop but win2000 doesn't support the software. i can't find (understand?) the wireless network on the win200 machine. i have made sure the firewalls allow network sharing. neither machine can see the other but both can connect to broadband through the same router.

TomG 19:50 20 Jan 05

Just a thought - has your router got a firewall? If so why enable the firewalls on the computers?

fitcher 20:17 20 Jan 05

same problem as you ,I have wireless router adsl connected to my computer by ethernet wire .laptop wireless finds the web ok .but sometimes I have to start my pc, and disable the fire wall for the wireless to work on my laptop ,seems to pass through the pc ok , but will not find my printer !!!( have you put the printer drivers on to your laptop as well as your pc ,have you had the printing software showing on your pc at the time as laptops ) my router has four ethernet connections I cable one them for the laptop connecting to print ok ,,but no joy with wireless printing .cheers all

LABMAN 20:58 20 Jan 05

Hi I had same problem recently using two PC's and a laptop and all 3 could connect to internet but not see each other, problem was solved by entering IP addresses of all 3 into Norton firewall located on main PC which was hard wired to wireless router...hope this helps

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…