Wireless help -changing from desktop to laptop

stu1162 19:09 06 Dec 05

Please help with what may be a simple solution.
I have purchased a laptop,a Netgear 108mbps wireless router, and card with the intent of removing my old desktop.
My connection is via a cable webstar modem with blueyonder.
Will I be able to just 'switch over' connections from my desktop to my laptop (if so how?)or do I have to leave the desktop connected permanently? and would I have to install any drivers onto my laptop?.
I would like to move the desktop upstairs out of the way so that I can move around with the laptop.
Any advice would be welcome as I am not that experienced in this field.

mgmcc 23:42 06 Dec 05

Shut everything down, including the Cable Modem. Leave the modem off for a couple of minutes.

Connect an ethernet cable between the modem and the router's "WAN" port and between the PC and one of the router's "LAN" ports. Power on the modem and wait for it to be fully booted and online. Then power on the router, wait for it to boot fully and finally boot the PC. You should now be able to access the router's setup pages by entering its IP address into a web browser.

The default setting will probably have let you get online with the PC that is connected with the cable. You need to configure its "wireless" settings so that the laptop can get online wirelessly then you can remove the cable to the PC.

<<< do I have to leave the desktop connected permanently? >>>

No.

<<< would I have to install any drivers onto my laptop?. >>>

You only need to install the software for the Wireless Network Adapter. There is no software to install for the router to which you connect over the LAN, with either a wired or a wireless connection.

stu1162 16:16 07 Dec 05

Thanks mgmcc,

You say connect the cables between the various points, but as i have a webstar cable modem i have an ethernet connection which is not used at present on the modem but is connected to the pc by means of a usb cable.
When i looked at the connection points at the rear of the tower (approx 5 years old), the only other points apart from the usb ports were phone and line sockets.
Will i still be able to make a connection between the the modem and pc? and would i be able to obtain the correct cable?
On the rear of the router there are 4 LAN ports and an internet port which i presume you mean is the WAN connection?.
So does this mean also that i do not need to run the set up wizard on the disk that came with the router?
If i move my pc upstairs and later on want to make a connection is it just a process of buying an adapter and linking up to the wireless router?
Thanks again for your info

stu1162 18:55 07 Dec 05

Sorry that should of read 'will i still be able to make a connection between the router and pc'

mgmcc 20:21 07 Dec 05

The cable modem must be connected by ethernet cable to the router's "Internet Port" (WAN = Wide Area Network = Internet), you cannot connect the modem by USB to the router.

The PC itself *MUST* connect to the router using a network adapter and this can be either wireless or wired, but most routers require that the initial setup is done with a "wired" connection. Provided you have a spare PCI slot, you should be able to get an ethernet adapter for £10 at the most. A Wireless Network adapter (PCI or USB) will be about £20/£25. At the moment, unfortunately, you have no way of connecting the PC and router.

stu1162 20:47 08 Dec 05

Thanks mgmcc,

I can get a 1.1 usb/ethernet adapter with driver that then connects from the pc to the router.
Once connected to the router is this an easy process of entering passwords and enabling encryption? do i use the disk that came with the netgear router? is there anything that i should look out for? as i would like to make sure no one else can use my connection down the road!.
Once set up are you then saying that i do not need to have my pc connected as i just want to use my laptop.
If at a later date i want to use my pc after moving it upstairs is it a case of installing a network adapter?
Thanks for your patience!

mgmcc 21:21 08 Dec 05

<<< I can get a 1.1 usb/ethernet adapter with driver that then connects from the pc to the router.
Once connected to the router is this an easy process of entering passwords and enabling encryption? >>>

I'm not sure whether you are talking about a "wired" ethernet adapter here or a Wireless Network Adapter. Encryption is only used with a wireless connection - it is set up in the router using either WEP or WPA and, in order to connect wirelessly, the same key as was used to set it up in the router has to be entered into the Wireless Network Adapter's settings. These settings should be remembered for future connections.

<<< Once set up are you then saying that i do not need to have my pc connected as i just want to use my laptop >>>

Correct. It is the router that connects to the ISP and any computer networked with the router has internet access via the LAN. There is no requirement for a Host PC to be online (as is the case with Windows "Internet Connection Sharing").

<<< If at a later date i want to use my pc after moving it upstairs is it a case of installing a network adapter? >>>

Yes, but if the PC is remote from the router, it would be a *Wireless* Network Adapter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos