Wireless help

kleaky88 21:29 28 Apr 06

I am running a high spec dell laptop and have just purchased a TP link 2.4 ghz 54mbps wireless card. Lovely looking thing, flashes every now and then and is currently installed with driver and recognised.

My understanding of wireless is very limited. I know if I have broadband connection and a router I can set up a home network but I don't want to do that as I DONT have a broadband connection. So, Is it as simple as going out to a 'hot spot' and trying to connect to someone elses or do I have to put in details first, such as IP addresses etc? At The mo I have no connection when it scans but I know the guy next door has a wireless connection as my PDA picks it up.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

ade.h 21:38 28 Apr 06

Yes, you can use a hotspot provided for public access or a service in a cafe/hotel/etc.

What you must NOT do is connect to another person's private network. Quite apart from being morally wrong, it is illegal and cases have been taken to court and resulted in prosecution.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…