wireless help

yellows 18:43 14 Oct 05

i am a complete novice on wireless networking. I want to connect my laptop to my desktop. my isp is bt yahoo broadband. What will i need please?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:54 14 Oct 05

simplist is adhoc net work to share BB connection

wireless card in PC and one in laptop click here

rhys 21:56 14 Oct 05

I've had ntl broadband installed recently with the cable running along the length of the room.
I had hoped to bury the cable beneath the carpet but this is proving more difficult than i thought it would be. Moving the pc nearer the point where the cable comes into the house is not an option, would it be possible to create a wireless situation with a wireless router and network adapter even though i only have one pc.

tasslehoff burrfoot 22:10 14 Oct 05

you will need a cable router (wireless) and a wireless card/dongle for the PC.

Won't matter that you only have one PC.

rhys 22:20 14 Oct 05

Cheers Tasslehoff Burrfoot sounds like good news.

yellows 23:35 14 Oct 05

after doing a bit of reading on wireless networking i did read that if you have got a adsl usb modem then it is best to bin it and by a router with a modem built in. any opinions?

lonemascot 23:41 14 Oct 05

i have just this second set up my wireless network between my laptop and home computer. all i had to get was a laptop wireless network card 802.11g and a desktop card. i just followed the instructions on the microsoft link above and can now do everything wirelessly from my laptop and vice versa. it seems quite adequate at the moment but i will upgrade and get a wireless router soon so i can take full advantage of faster network speeds.

palinka 14:43 15 Oct 05

this may help: I spent months collecting info re how to do just what you want to do; got lots of advice in this forum and eventually took the plunge - works fine. But what really gave me the confidence to go ahead was info from BT web site, which showed illustrations of their range of packages, one of which was exactly what you (and I) want to do. I found that explained it very clearly. It shows pictures (and describes) exactly which bits of kit are necessary. You can then buy from wherever you like - either separate parts or a "ready-made" package.

woodchip 14:46 15 Oct 05

You do not need to Network Computers just to connect to the NET. but you would be better using a Wireless router Modem

palinka 14:48 15 Oct 05

sorry, didn't read down fr enough to know you'd solved it. Perhaps a tick in the resolved box?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…