Is wireless hardware really picky? Or just me?

PaulB2005 12:25 16 Oct 05

In my previous thread click here i had a wireless network set up for 6 months with no problems.

Suddenly all i do is swap two bits of hardware and my wireless network is full of problems. Wireless card that tell me wireless networks are available but won't actually show me them to allow a connection, even when it's in the same route as the router. An iMac works flawlessly across the house for months but when replaced by a USB adaptor and a Windows laptop the signal dives up and down (70%, 24%, 56%, 65%, 12%, 45% etc), occasionally disappearing completely.

Could it be the router that's to blame? The router can always see the PCs in the vicinity (including a neighbours) but the PCs can't seem to get a stable signal anymore. I have a nagging doubt it's the router thats to blame because all was well until i removed the USB adaptor from the PC and put it in the new (to us) laptop and put a wireless card in the PC. Coincidence if the router broke at the same time.....

PaulB2005 14:45 16 Oct 05

Not the router as the wireless works again now i have the USB adapter back in PC2. 99% signal...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…