Wireless- G and PCI adaptor

GBL 17:43 28 Jan 08

I have decided to go wireless as i have two desk top PC's one upstairs and the main one downstairs. I have just bought the Linksys Wireless-G ADSL home gateway which I intent to install on the main PC and the compatable PCI adaptor which I intend to intall on the one upstairs. I presume that I have done right by this assumption.

Second question is do I have to leave the Router switched on at the mains all the time as I usually switch off the PC's at the mains at night and some other times.

MAJ 17:51 28 Jan 08

With only one USB Wireless adapter, you will only be able to get one PC to work wirelessly, unless the other PC has a wireless card already installed.

"Second question is do I have to leave the Router switched on at the mains all the time as I usually switch off the PC's at the mains at night and some other times."

No you don't need to have the router plugged in when it's not being used. It is advisable to have it plugged into a surge protector as a surge can wipe the router's setting (I'm speaking from experience).

GBL 17:57 28 Jan 08

I thought, obviously wrongly then, that the Router, which has an aerial and connects via an ethernet cable, was wireless that is why I only bought the one adaptor. So what you are saying is that the adaptor should be installed it the main PC and I need some other device for the other PC

GBL 18:02 28 Jan 08

Thanks for the second part, I do use a surge protector for all the connections on the computer, will have to sort a spare socket out for the router as all are currently in use.

MAJ 18:09 28 Jan 08

The router will connect via the ethernet cable to your PC initially to set up the router, you can keep that ethernet cable connected to the PC, but it wont be classed as wireless, it will have to remain connected to the PC in order that the PC can access the internet. If you want that PC to be wireless as well, you'll need another USB Wireless Adapter.

GBL 18:12 28 Jan 08

So just to check that I understand, I install this adaptor to the main PC and connect the Router to it with the ethernet cable. That as you say I will need another adaptor for the other PC. Sorry to seem a bit thick but this as a new venture for me.

Quiller. 18:31 28 Jan 08

'So just to check that I understand, I install this adaptor to the main PC and connect the Router to it with the ethernet cable. That as you say I will need another adaptor for the other PC.'

No. Forget about the other PC and the usb adapter for the moment. Just concentrate on getting the main PC connected to the router.

All you do is to connect the router to the telephone line and supply the power to it. Plug the other end of the telephone lead into the back of the router. Plug in the Ethernet cable into the router and then into the rear of the computer.

Put the setup cd in to the cdrom drive and follow the prompts.

When you have that set up and have written down any security keys and passwords, post back on how to setup the second computer.

MAJ 18:33 28 Jan 08

No. it can be confusing in the beginning, geoffy.

Here's what to do.

Connect the router to the PC using an ethernet cable, one will be supplied with the router.
Attach the ADSL cable from the router to the filter (also supplied) on your main BT phone socket. Then turn on the router.
Then type 192.168.1.1 into your browser's address bar. You will then be asked to enter a username and password, both are usually "admin" (without the quote marks). That will bring up the router's configuration page, into which you type the username and password that you use to attach to your ISP.
When you get that far, you can then see if you can connect to the internet. If you can, then go back to the router's config page and setup your wireless security. Choose WPA-PSK and enter a password that you will remember but is difficult for strangers to guess, your name folled by your date of birth for example geoffy31121960 (say).
Save the settings.

Then install (still on the main PC) the software that came with your USB wireless adapter. Disconnect the router from the PC and plug in your USB adapter. Your adapter should pick up the wireless signal from the router and ask you to input your password (geoffy31121960), do that and click Connect and you should be able to connect wirelessly.

Install another USB wireless adapter on the second PC, connect it and it should also pick up the wireless signal from the router and ask for the wireless password (geoffy31121960), enter it and click Connect.

GBL 18:46 28 Jan 08

Sorry Maj it is a PCI adaptor not USB that I have bought.
I will do as you and Quiller says first but in the morning and report back.
Don't want ot get too confused at this stage, it has taken me a long time to get this far.

Quiller. 18:55 28 Jan 08

'it is a PCI adaptor not USB that I have bought'

So it is, you said so in your first post. Sorry don't know why I said USB:-(

MAJ 18:58 28 Jan 08

If you want the PCs to be wireless, geoffy, it would need to be a wireless PCI adapter and you'll still need one for both PCs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…