Wireless G Network - was good now poor.....

PaulB2005 08:21 14 Oct 05

Router Buffalo WYR-G54 Airstation.

PC1 - (this one) connected by CAT5 patch cable to router. WinXp Pro
PC2 - Desktop PC WinXp Home
Laptop - Step daughters work laptop

PC1 and PC2 are in the same room. Laptop is two rooms away.

Set up a wireless network. PC2 connected using a Belkin Wireless G USB Network Adapoter and the laptop was an iMac with built in wirless. All fine and worked well.

Two weeks ago the iMac died and was replaced by an old Win Me laptop. The Belkin Wireless G USB Network Adapoter was moved to the laptop and i bought a new Belkin High-Speed Mode Wireless G Desktpo Network Card. Since then the wireless connection has been "delicate". On both it will initially connect to the network 50% of the time and then spend the next 30 minuites finding and loosing the netwrk before giving up the ghost.

Currently PC2 is telling me there is no connection to the wireless network but that there is a Wireless netowrk in rnage - click here to connect. But when i click here theres no netowrks listed.

Tried -

Moving router

Changing channels

Reinstalling the drivers

A reboot often fixes but it's annoying when an Excellent connection dies in the middle of downloading....

PaulB2005 14:14 14 Oct 05

Reinstall XP on PC 2

Belkin tool still states there is a wireless network avalible but then when i look under Avalible Networks - Nothing!!!!

walesrob 15:34 14 Oct 05

I had exactly the same problem as you. I am using a Netgear DG834G and *was using a Belkin PCI card, and it too kept saying theres a network available but the Belkin utility could not find it and no amount of configuring would sort the problem...to cut a long story short I bought a cheapie £10 PCI Wireless G card from EBay - a K Corp branded card and it is a massive improvement on the Belkin - I get a 100% all the time and it never, ever drops the signal. Sometimes cheap is better!

Interestingly, I have a lappy that uses a Belkin network card and it seems to be fine.

" Reinstall XP on PC 2"
I don't think so somehow - its always easy to blame XPSP2.

PaulB2005 17:19 14 Oct 05

"I don't think so somehow - its always easy to blame XPSP2."

Who was blaming XP SP2?? Not me!! I was doing it because the PC gets used for all sorts of testing and has loads of junk on it. I thought a clean install might remove any conflicting drivers, after all there was an old Belkin USB adaptor on before. Even after that i didn't state anything that could be construed as to me saying XP was to blame!

It's always easy to assume everyone bashes MS and Windows......

walesrob 18:45 14 Oct 05

Dur sorry, I was having a bad day....but anyway any luck yet? I'd love to see how this one was sorted as for now, I'm not a big fan of Belkin PCI cards - I forgot to mention I did buy 2 more for another wireless set up and both were faulty, this confirmed by EBuyer where I bought them from.

PaulB2005 19:28 14 Oct 05

I've got a replacement card so I'll try it over the weekend.

Used a fair bit of Belkin kit before but this is the first problem I've had....

PaulB2005 10:20 15 Oct 05

click here

Refresh doesn't reveal anything new and my laptop sees all 3 networks in range.....

walesrob 14:27 15 Oct 05

Yep, looks familiar! Have you tried reseting router back to factory settings? Even try disabling security just to see if it works (this will happen anyay with a hard reset) I found the Belkin utilty was a pain, and once I had installed and set up the card, I deleted the 2 belkin network start-up entries and told XP to manage the networks. This is exactly what I am doing now with this KCorp card, and it works everytime, its connected as soon as the pc starts - not even a delay as Belkin card did.
I wish I could offer more suggestions but I'll do some googling for the Buffalo see what comes up.

PaulB2005 18:04 15 Oct 05

Well Belkin are trying to help but the major annoyance is the "the network's there, oh no it's not, oh yes it is" feature. It's like Panto has come early this year.

Never had problems with Belkin before.... It wasn't too bad for the first 2 hours the card was installed but now it never sees the network.

Might just get a refund on Monday and put an old Network card in. Means running a cable round the room but after the last 3 days.....

Factory settings - Tried that - might try again.
Security Off - Tried that....

PaulB2005 12:17 16 Oct 05

Ditching the wireless card and USB adapter. PC is going back onto a wired connection and i'll get a PCMCIA card for the laptop....

PaulB2005 14:43 16 Oct 05

USB Adapter back on PC2. All fine. Strong stable signal, doesn't drop connection. Even tried a friends BT Voyager 1040 PCI card but it's identical to the Belkin one except for the stickers. Even the software interface is identical.....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…