Wireless expert help needed

Mrsmenopausecheyne 10:11 22 May 14

Hi, strange problem. My computer was advising a shared IP address incident, found this strange, so went to my wireless homepage to check which devices were connected to my wireless. Stranger still, an unknown device was clearly using my wireless! After 4 days, turning off electric etcet to find out where the unknown device was coming from, I eventually changed the password, and lo and behold, unknown device disappeared. I have a very good idea it was a neighbour, but not a very clever one. Could anybody shed light on how they could possibly have accessed my password? Suffice to say, 2 weeks later they haven't made a reappearance since, thank you.

Mrsmenopausecheyne 10:21 22 May 14

ha ha typical female mistake !

Secret-Squirrel 11:32 22 May 14

A couple of questions for you first:

1) Which wireless security mechanism (WEP, WPA, or WPA2) is your router using? If you don't know then log back into your router and have a look in the wireless security section.

2) Was your previous password strong or weak? For example, was it at least eight characters in length and made up of random letters and numbers, or was it quite simple such as a word found in the dictionary, your partner's name or pet's name etc?

Mrsmenopausecheyne 11:55 22 May 14

Hi, and MANY thanks for your replies. I am on WPA/WPA2-PSK.Previous password was a jumble of 8 letters, not a word from dictionary. Also phones were ruled out, also smart tv etcet, basically everything turned off to be 100% sure, again thanks for suggestion.

Ian in Northampton 11:58 22 May 14

On my network, those who have used it - my daughter when she visits, for example - remain visible on the router's wireless page even after she's long gone. Just taking the device away doesn't make it disappear from the page. Could what you're seeing be the remnants of a visitor?

Mrsmenopausecheyne 12:02 22 May 14

Don't think so, only one visitor, was on 3 or 4g? Problem remained for another 2 days after they left. Also on one occasion (day 4) it wasn't there in the morning, for the first time in 4 days, came back at lunchtime, still not there, half an hour after my return, it popped up again. as no one in my house apart from me, turned off electric to everything apart from my pc, it was still showing. Has to be someone else.But thanks for your input.

Secret-Squirrel 12:16 22 May 14

".......WPA/WPA2-PSK.Previous password was a jumble of 8 letters, not a word from dictionary"

That's a very secure wireless configuration so it's virtually impossible that your neighbour (or anyone else) hacked the password and gained access to your network....unless of course the password was written down somewhere and a visitor to your home spotted it.

I agree with Ian - you were probably seeing a "stale" record in the wireless-client list. When the router restarted after the password change the list was purged and that's why it disappeared.

I wouldn't be concerned either about the IP-address conflict message you appear to have received. It's an anomaly that occurs sometimes and is rarely sinister.

I don't think there's anything to worry about.

Mrsmenopausecheyne 12:23 22 May 14

Hi again, could agree with you, but, it was not there on Tuesday morning, and reappeared at approx. 12.35 dinnertime. I didn't change password until Tuesday evening. the bigger picture entails NFH, and my gut feeling they have accessed my home over the last 2 years, anytime we have been away. Various small anomalies, this has been my closest to finding out if I am right or not. I think they have been in my home and accessed the password from the router. So I am installing one cctv combo into my kitchen, when we go away on holiday, we will find out if I am correct or not. Also, typical NFH, Tuesday evening after passcode was changed, from aprox 10pm till 12.30am lots of door banging from them! Usually a sign we have upset them! I have actually got in contact with fraud police, who have noted my concerns, peace of mind would be nice but not likely to happen! however, many thanks to all you guys who took the time to reply- THANK YOU.

Secret-Squirrel 14:03 22 May 14

"I think they have been in my home and accessed the password from the router...."

As an extra precaution you should assign a strong router-access password if you haven't already done so - especially if the password is still set to "admin", "password" or it's printed on a sticker on the router.

Best of luck with everything.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…