Wireless and ethernet Hub/Router

blanket22 16:34 29 Jun 09

I am currently getting my broadband using eclipse whom I am very happy with.
I use a gateway (ZyXEL P-600 series Model p-660R-D1, I assume it is a gateway as eclipse sell something similair and call it a gateway). I have tried to split this before by plugging the ethernet into an old hub (netgear dual speed hub DS104). Unfortunately when I tried to run two PCs from the Hub when the 2nd Connection was made the 1st connection was dropped.

Now I am trying to get a wireless router which also has ethernet connections. Do I need to get one that includes a Gateway or was the problem down to an old hub? I have quite a medium sized house so would need two antennaes I have been told. Would anyone be able to recommend any joint wireless /ethernet routers and do I need to get it to include a Gateway as well? Or might it be a problem with the internet provider.

mgmcc 21:36 29 Jun 09

When you connect to the internet with a Router, the Router *IS* the Default Gateway for any computers connecting to the internet through it.

>>> I have tried to split this before by plugging
>>> the ethernet into an old hub (netgear dual
>>> speed hub DS104). Unfortunately when I tried
>>> to run two PCs from the Hub when the 2nd
>>> Connection was made the 1st connection was dropped.

I would have thought that should work, although it might be necessary to use a Network Switch rather than a basic Network Hub. The way to check would be to see what IP address each computer connected to it gets by DHCP. If the first computer to connect gets your public IP address (as allocated by the ISP) then you are connected to a Modem and not to a Router. A Router will get your public IP address and allocate IP addresses to connected computers using one of the address ranges reserved for Local Area Networks, most commonly 192.168.x.x addresses.

blanket22 11:04 30 Jun 09

Thanks for the heads up.
I checked and they both got ip address in the 192.168.x.x range.
The 1st one was 192.168.1.33 and the 2nd was 192.168.1.34. They both worked for about 3 or 4 minutes then the first one that I got stopped working and even thoguh it kept the address it wouldn't connect to the internet.

I am assuming my next port of call should be my ISP.

blanket22 11:05 30 Jun 09

On my hub I was using it with the button pressed for normal instead of uplink is this correct?

mgmcc 11:37 30 Jun 09

It might actually be necessary to use the "uplink" setting for the connection between the hub and the router. Try it and see - it has the same effect as using a "crossover" ethernet cable instead of a "straight-wired" one and is usually necessary when daisy-chaining network hubs/switches.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…