Wireless encryption setup

Diodorus Siculus 12:36 21 Jun 05

click here
for the router I am using.

I've had a few problems with getting to various sites but rebooting the router seems to have sorted that out.

Now I need to figure out how to encrypt the signal - my main PC is win2k and my laptop is WinXP. The router is connected to the win2k PC.

Any takers?

Taff36 12:38 21 Jun 05

Hello again Dio - D-Link fine. Going to have to work from memory here so give me two minutes I`ll find my notes and post back in a few minutes.

Diodorus Siculus 12:39 21 Jun 05

Afternoon Peter, thought it might be you!

Diodorus Siculus 12:49 21 Jun 05

Just got called out - typical when I think I have a few minutes to myself!

Will be back soon I hope.

Taff36 12:59 21 Jun 05

Ok access the router admin 192.168.1.1 with http:// before it of course. Have you changed the default password yet? Go to the setup page and clicking the connection 1 button on the left hand pane. Select the WEP radio button and tick the enable box. Authentication type should be open.

Under select, select the first radio button and then set the drop down box to the right at 64. Type in an encryption key. For example A12345678B using ten hexadecimal keys i.e.0-9 and a-f.

Don`t forget to save your settings and reboot the router. Now you`ll have to scan for the router on each of your PC`s and enter the same encryption key on each of them. You should be able to add the connection, once it`s established to the profile which means it will remember it. More of that later.

Suggest you print this out before you go! Hope I`ve got it right!

Diodorus Siculus 17:20 21 Jun 05

Thanks for that; I've just got back. I will give it a go later on and let you know how it goes.

Taff36 21:45 02 Jul 05

How did you get on? One of your posts this week suggests that you got it sorted but I`m not 100% sure. Checked out my post instructions and they were almost right!

Taff36 08:17 11 Jul 05

Setting up WEP

Ok access the router admin 192.168.1.1 with http:// before it of course. Go to the setup page and clicking the connection 1 button on the left hand pane. Select the WEP radio button and tick the enable box. Authentication type should be open.

Under select, select the first radio button and then set the drop down box to the right at 64. Type in an encryption key. For example A12345678B using ten hexadecimal keys i.e.0-9 and a-f.

Don`t forget to save your settings by going to the Tools Tab and select System settings – Save then the Back button that appears on the page (Not the browser back button) then the Restart AP button to reboot the router. You may have to wait for a few minutes. Now you`ll have to scan for the router on each of your PC`s and enter the same encryption key on each of them. You should be able to add the connection, once it`s established, to the profile which means it will remember it ad you won`t have to type in the key every time.

Suggest you print this out before you go!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…