Wireless - Encryption

Howard's Way 22:42 21 Mar 05

I have a wireless network with a modem/router. One of the functions is called WIRELESS

Please configure your wireless setting here.
SSID
Channel
Security Enable Encryption
Disable Encryption

Key Length 64 bit 128 bit
(5 bytes for 64 bit or 13 bytes for 128 bit)

Key 1
Key 2
Key 3
Key 4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Howard's Way 22:48 21 Mar 05

I have a Conexant Wireless network and the manual does not mention this encryption part. I have tried to contact the manufacturer in Taiwan but no response. Any one kow how I configure this encrption for my computers

It says
Wireless

Please configure your wireless setting here.
SSID
Channel
Security Enable Encryption
Disable Encryption

Key Length 64 bit 128 bit
(5 bytes for 64 bit or 13 bytes for 128 bit)

Key 1
Key 2
Key 3
Key 4

If I tick the enable encryption I am unable to get on the Internet.

Anyone got any ideas?

Ironman556 02:06 22 Mar 05

You need to set your adapter and your router with the same key. Check in the settings of both, you need to find what length of key your router and wireless adapter support, from the above one supports 128 bit and 64 bit, use the highest that they both support.

What you need to do is go into the wireless encryption (WEP) settings for both pieces of hardware. One of them may allow you to generate a hexidecimal key, eg. A2 56 3B 4C 76. If it does you'll need to use that as one, write it down and then enter it for the other piece of hardware aswell. If there's nothing generated then make one up, using hex, you need pairs of letters/numbers as above using these characters "0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F". Use 5 pairs for 64 bit and 13 pairs for 128 bit encryption. You only need to fill in the space for key 1.

If you hit any problems post back.

Howard's Way 20:20 22 Mar 05

Thanks Ironman566 that has it running fine on both of my computers, but could you tell me what is the advantages/disadvantages of WEP? and 64bit 128 bit?

Ironman556 12:52 24 Mar 05

With wireless networks the signal is sent out in all directions from a point, so any receiver within the transmission range of your access point/router can pick up that signal. There are two main ways used of stopping people accessing your network from another wireless adapter. The first is setting the router to only send information to certain mac addresses (you'll find one printed on the bottom of your wireless adapter if it's separate, otherwise it will be shown in the software somewhere I think). That's like saying only deliver post to "10 Downing Street", so 9 and 11 don't recieve anything. The second way is encryption.

Encryption is a way of encoding information so that it's harder (but still possible) for other people to intercept and more importanty understand data you're transmitting/recieving. But if you don't have the same key when recieving as you do when transmitting the data can't be read.

EG. If I say the letter A is sent as B, A=B, B=C, C=D etc., then If I send to you "I F M M P", you can't read it but if you used the key in reverse, so B=A, C=B D=C etc. You'll read "H E L L O"

The number of bits used determines how complicated the encryption is and so how hard it is to read something that's encrypted. If I have two spaces, in which I can put a 1 or a 0, I can make 4 different combinations, 00, 01, 10, 11. That would be using 2 bits. If I have 3 bits, I have three spaces and I can make the combinations, 000, 001, 010, 011, 100, 101, 110, 111. I've now gone from 2 combinations to 8 combinations just by adding one more bit. 16 bits gives 65536 combinations, 32 bits gives over 4200 million combinations. So by the time you get to 64 bit encryption you have lots, and 128 has lots more. This means that if someone wants to read something encrypted from your network they have to get their PC to go through a lot of combinations to work out what key you're using.

The disadvantages are very few, it takes time to encode/decode a signal, but it's done so fast that you won't notice and encoding also increases the amount of information that has to be sent, but with the speeds of wireless networks it's almost nothing to transfer a little bit of extra data and you won't notice a drop in speed.

I hope that answers your question ok.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…