Wireless enabling my PC

Melbar 13:40 28 Mar 08

I have a broadband connection at home and he provider is SKY. I have got the SKY wireless router installed
and my laptop connects to the internet via the wireless network connection.

I have got another Dell pc lying in my study room and it's not connected to the internet since there are no telephone connection in the room.

I want to wireless enable this PC so that I can connect to the internet. How do I do it ?
Please list out the exact step to wireless enable my PC.

Also is it possible both both the pc and he laptop to access the internet at the same time ?

BurrWalnut 15:42 28 Mar 08

You need a USB adapter, like this click here Netgear, LinkSys and Belkin are reputable manufacturers.

When it arrives, run the software to install it. To connect the first time, enter the SSID and security key.

All your machines will be able to access the internet at the same time.

Melbar 16:23 28 Mar 08

What is most effective in terms of networking and speed quality, installing the pci card or just installing the usb adapter.

also if I buy the usb adapter can it go into any usb slot ?

pchelper001 18:19 28 Mar 08

in my experience, the usb adapter is better, speed wise. The quality of wireless won't differ between usb and pci. Yes. The usb adapter should be able to go into any usb slot, preferably a usb2.0 slot.

btw...try and get a netgear pci adapter/usb adapter...i find they are easier to set up and they work extremely well.

Melbar 21:11 02 Apr 08

I have just installed my usb adapter but I can't view any connect to the wireless network.

I have a netgear router already and the isp is sky.
I can connect to the internet from my laptop which is wireless enabled.

Now I am trying to wireless enable my pc.
I have bought a usb wireless adapter and have installed the driver
When I clike on the wirelss network connections on my pc I get the following error message
Windows cannot configure this wireless connection
If you enabled another program to manage this wireless connection, use that software.
If you wnat windows to configure this wireless connection, start the Wireless Zero Configuration(WZC) service. Form information about the WZC service see article 671122 in the Mocrosoft knowledge base on the microsoft .com web site.

Should anyother software be installed on my pc after from the usb adapter driver ?

I am Spartacus 23:16 02 Apr 08

Normally you install the driver and the wireless management software before plugging in the USB adapter when prompted. The software should then ask you to enter your SSID and security key. Was the wireless management software also installed when the driver was installed?

If you plugged in the driver and let Windows install the software after plugging in the adapter then remove the adapter and uninstall the software. Insert the CD and follow the prompts.

I am Spartacus 23:19 02 Apr 08

Last sentence should read

If you plugged in the adapter and let windows install the driver then remove the adapter and uninstall the software/driver. Then insert the CD and follow the prompts.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009