Wireless enabled, but can't connect - help!

suz10 18:44 19 Dec 05

Have spent 5 hours installing the router and configuring the wireless card and it is finally working (enabled, strong signal etc.) But I now cannot connect to the internet or download email. I have a dell latitude D600, a Draytek router and am on BT broadband. I put my username/password for broadband into the router when I installed it so it should work. Any thoughts?

stalion 18:49 19 Dec 05

are you running xp if so there is an icon in the control panel to assist setting up a wireless network

woodchip 19:02 19 Dec 05

Yes you need to connect the Computer By Ethernet Wire to Router then Open the Router Settings page, You know how to get into that, Enable the Wireless part of router and make a note of SSID and the common password so you can load these into wireless computer settings software

suz10 19:04 19 Dec 05

I have been to internet options then connections and made sure I have checked 'automatically detect settings' etc. Is there something else I should be looking at?

woodchip 19:08 19 Dec 05

as above

suz10 19:08 19 Dec 05

I have been into the router settings and have the SSID/password. What exactly should I do with them? I have already configured the network using the SSID

woodchip 19:16 19 Dec 05

Yes but those have to be put into the Computer you are going to use as a Wireless connection so it can talk to the router, There should be software or such to load the settings you have. look in System tray for icon and right click and choose properties

suz10 19:23 19 Dec 05

Hi Woodchip - I think I've done that already. When I configured my wireless on my computer I added a network with the SSID in. The computer seems to be talking to the router ok. But I just can't seem to connect. Where is the system tray?

Skills 19:31 19 Dec 05

The system tray is at the bottom right of your desktop the area with all the icons of running programs in.

If you're computer is talking the router ok I would go into the routers setup pages again and make sure that you have entered your ISP connection details correctly. On my router once you've entered the details you should be able to test the connection.

Also have you tried disabling your firewalls for a moment to see if it works without.

keewaa 19:49 19 Dec 05

The First step is always to get everything working by ethernet cable, then it makes problem solving easier. I suggest you plug an ethernet cable in, forget about wireless, and check the internet and email is all working by wire. Then it isolates the problem to wireless.

glamworld 22:09 19 Dec 05

hi did you solve your problem? i have the same problem myself if you have solved it could you please reply with how?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…