Wireless disconnect

BLACKIE1 15:06 10 Sep 06

My daughter recently purchased a Compaq wirless laptop. From her bedroom it continues to disconnect from the internet. If she takes the laptop to the room the router is in she does not have the problem. The girl that was in the room previously did not have the same problem but her PC was a desktop not a laptop. The router is Efficent Networks speed stream provided by Bell Sympatico. Any suggestions as to how the solve the problem would be appreciated.

ade.h 15:46 10 Sep 06

Since you cannot change the router, try this click here

mikesuther 09:33 11 Sep 06

Hi, depending on the router it could be down to signal strength. some older houses and esome modern ones come to that have either solid brick walls which hold a amount of carbon which can cause interference often houses have a lot of metal again causing intermittent problems.

Although some one else used that room before, there set up was different. it is possible that the computer may have had an external aerial built in to the dongle they were using, or even if it was an internal card it could have had an external aerial.

Is it possible to obtain an aerial for the router? you see them acvertised on ebay. another option is to move the router to a different part of the house, you could do this by using a telephone extension lead and move the unit to the hallway for example. In my house i use to have the router upstair in the front bedroom but, my reception in the dining room was atrocious with constant breakdown or loss of signal not the best thing when trying to download.

I over came the problem by moving the router to a central point in the house and now everyone is happy. there are other more expensive options such as in line boosters, or even more expensive routers with better output but normally moving the router you have if your flat mates are ok about it should resolve the problem.

mikesuther 09:33 11 Sep 06

Hi, depending on the router it could be down to signal strength. some older houses and esome modern ones come to that have either solid brick walls which hold a amount of carbon which can cause interference often houses have a lot of metal again causing intermittent problems.

Although some one else used that room before, there set up was different. it is possible that the computer may have had an external aerial built in to the dongle they were using, or even if it was an internal card it could have had an external aerial.

Is it possible to obtain an aerial for the router? you see them acvertised on ebay. another option is to move the router to a different part of the house, you could do this by using a telephone extension lead and move the unit to the hallway for example. In my house i use to have the router upstair in the front bedroom but, my reception in the dining room was atrocious with constant breakdown or loss of signal not the best thing when trying to download.

I over came the problem by moving the router to a central point in the house and now everyone is happy. there are other more expensive options such as in line boosters, or even more expensive routers with better output but normally moving the router you have if your flat mates are ok about it should resolve the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now