Wireless dead spot

pete47 10:00 24 Sep 06

Hi there,
My broadband wireless connection is always low or very low on desktop located downstairs about 20yds from router. Am using a BT 2100 voyager router with a prolink usb 2.0 adaptor.
Lap top and other desktop upstairs in house always have excellent signal.
Any advice would be great.
Many thanks,
Pete Hansford.

Phphred 11:58 24 Sep 06

I have not got a wireless connection but it could be the density of the walls that it has to get through to get to your downstairs desktop!!

Hertz Van Rentyl 15:47 24 Sep 06

You may need to reposition the antenna on your downstairs desktop. You can get an antenna on an extension cable. I had this problem with the same router, solved with a Dlink DWL-M60AT panel antenna, this is a directional antenna but seems to scoop up loads of signal. A cheaper omnidirectional antenna may well do the trick, you can get a base and cable that will take your existing antenna. These soloutions need your antenna to be removable from the prolink and have a reverse polarity SMA connector.(very common)
click here

pete47 16:23 24 Sep 06

Thanks Hertz - I'll give that a go.
Cheers, Pete

Input Overload 19:09 24 Sep 06

Try positioning the router upstairs.

Hertz Van Rentyl 09:59 25 Sep 06

Seems to be a desktop thing, as my Sony VAIO picks up "good" signal 80 feet away down the garden.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…