wireless connects then disconnects 20 secs later

lonemascot 21:07 29 Dec 06

i briefly connect wirelessly to my linksys router but a few seconds later it disconnects.

there isnt anything wrong with my cable ethernet connection though.

i have tried using dynamic settings for tcp/ip settings and also the settings from when i am connected for that brief time.

any ideas on what to do now?

thanks

Technotiger 21:14 29 Dec 06

Hi, try re-setting the router, probably a tiny button on back of router - or - disconnect routers' power count ten seconds then re-connect power.

Hi, try re-setting the router, probably a tiny button on back of router - or - disconnect routers' power count ten seconds then re-connect power.

sorry about double-post accidental!

lonemascot 21:15 29 Dec 06

tried that. turned everything off. put router on, reset it, turned lappy on. same thing happens again. changed settings again still nothing.

Technotiger 21:40 29 Dec 06

Hmmm, I didn't mean turn everything off, just the Router, only for 10 seconds. However, if you still have no joy, I can only suggest that you try this question in the Networking Forum, probably get more response.

Good luck.

kev-a 21:54 29 Dec 06

What Linksys router you got ?

Ashrich 22:29 29 Dec 06

A few questions first , what are you connecting to the router with , is it a laptop ? What wireless device are you using , PCMCIA , USB , built in ? Are you using the software provided with the wireless device ? .

Ashley

Ashrich 22:32 29 Dec 06

Forgot to ask , if built in , what manufacturer is it ...Intel , Broadcom , Atheros , Ralink etc.

Ashley

lonemascot 11:54 30 Dec 06

its a built in laptop Prism 802.11g adapter. i have downloaded the correct drivers from the manufacturer of my laptop so am using them.

it used to work before i installed the bt broadband help disc. i unstalled that and the bt wireless connection program and now my standard windows wireless connection reckons that it isnt congfigured to control the connections.

i restarted the wireless zero program and clicked the box that recommends that windows configures my wireless connection.

this still doesnt explain why i can connect for a short period though.

ratboy blues
its a linksys wag354g router.

cylon 12:30 30 Dec 06

I had similar symptoms this year when briefly playing with an a HP PDA on my wireless network.

After I tried all of the usual things I realized the problem was not with the device but the fact that I had set up MAC filtering on my router.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…