wireless connects then disconnects 20 secs later

lonemascot 21:07 29 Dec 06

i briefly connect wirelessly to my linksys router but a few seconds later it disconnects.

there isnt anything wrong with my cable ethernet connection though.

i have tried using dynamic settings for tcp/ip settings and also the settings from when i am connected for that brief time.

any ideas on what to do now?

thanks

Technotiger 21:14 29 Dec 06

Hi, try re-setting the router, probably a tiny button on back of router - or - disconnect routers' power count ten seconds then re-connect power.

Hi, try re-setting the router, probably a tiny button on back of router - or - disconnect routers' power count ten seconds then re-connect power.

sorry about double-post accidental!

lonemascot 21:15 29 Dec 06

tried that. turned everything off. put router on, reset it, turned lappy on. same thing happens again. changed settings again still nothing.

Technotiger 21:40 29 Dec 06

Hmmm, I didn't mean turn everything off, just the Router, only for 10 seconds. However, if you still have no joy, I can only suggest that you try this question in the Networking Forum, probably get more response.

Good luck.

kev-a 21:54 29 Dec 06

What Linksys router you got ?

Ashrich 22:29 29 Dec 06

A few questions first , what are you connecting to the router with , is it a laptop ? What wireless device are you using , PCMCIA , USB , built in ? Are you using the software provided with the wireless device ? .

Ashley

Ashrich 22:32 29 Dec 06

Forgot to ask , if built in , what manufacturer is it ...Intel , Broadcom , Atheros , Ralink etc.

Ashley

lonemascot 11:54 30 Dec 06

its a built in laptop Prism 802.11g adapter. i have downloaded the correct drivers from the manufacturer of my laptop so am using them.

it used to work before i installed the bt broadband help disc. i unstalled that and the bt wireless connection program and now my standard windows wireless connection reckons that it isnt congfigured to control the connections.

i restarted the wireless zero program and clicked the box that recommends that windows configures my wireless connection.

this still doesnt explain why i can connect for a short period though.

ratboy blues
its a linksys wag354g router.

cylon 12:30 30 Dec 06

I had similar symptoms this year when briefly playing with an a HP PDA on my wireless network.

After I tried all of the usual things I realized the problem was not with the device but the fact that I had set up MAC filtering on my router.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac