wireless connections

albal 16:04 28 Oct 06

Hello there guys,when setting up a router(seperate from the modem and its Belkin)should there be an ethernet cable from the main pc to the router and another one from the modem to the router.I have tried to set up a friends router and all the settings are correct and the laptop and the router are communicating but cannot get online on the laptop.If the above is true i think this is my problem.Thanks

silliw 17:47 28 Oct 06

I assume you will be attaching a number of pc's as a network as otherwise I dont know why you are using a router. If you only ever intend to attach the laptop then you should attach the modem directly to the laptop, there is no need for the router.

Strawballs 18:41 28 Oct 06

Do you get your internet vi a phone line or cable? because if it is through a phoneline then you need a combined modem/router.

albal 22:11 29 Oct 06

Hi silliw,the router and modem are connected to main computer downstairs and the daughter has a laptop in her bedroom hence the router,Hi strawballs,the friend has telewest so i persume it is through cable.

mgmcc 09:25 30 Oct 06

There is no requirement for any particular computer to be connected by ethernet cable - they can both connect "wirelessly", both connect by ethernet cable or a mix of "wired" and "wireless".

Have you actually "Connected" to the wireless network? In other words, have you run the wireless adapter's software, scanned for "Available Wireless Networks", found and highlighted the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and selected the option to "Connect" to it? You should be prompted to enter any WEP or WPA encryption key and, once "Connected", the wireless adapter should get its IP address by DHCP from the router and you should have network and internet access.

There is a difference between the Wireless Network Adapter and Router communicating with a good signal and "Connecting" (as in "logging in") to your Wireless network.

Telewest is indeed "Cable" broadband and you do use a separate "Cable/DSL Router" in conjunction with the cable modem supplied by Telewest.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos