Wireless connections ?

sezzi1 12:28 22 May 05

I have a Sony Vaio VGN-A317S laptop with a wireless connection facility and a HP M1261 Media Centre also with wireless facility. Both are connected separately to the one phone line [dial up not broadband]. The laptop has an internal modem but the HP has and external modem. I have been trying [but without much luck] to get both computers on a home network but I keep getting "no available wireless networks in range" on both. I also get "wireless network connection not connected" on the taskbars. I am going round in circles trying to figure it out. I thought that if both computers have a wireless network connection you would be able to connect them together wirelessly and they would recognise each other or do I need other hardware. I am disabled and work mostly on my laptop downstairs but my printer is upstairs connected to the HP, I was hoping to connect them so I could send files upstairs to be printed rather than save them to disk. Can anyone help please but in laymans term and step by step instructions.

cylon 14:01 22 May 05

It is possible to set up a wirless network top work in ome of two modes.

Adhoc, as it aame suggest is just network of two wirless computers talking tot each other
Infrastructure, which is where access is made using access points.

Check that both PCs are working in Adhoc mode.
Check that you have duplicate setting for SSID etc.

When setting up it's a good idea to leave you SSID (you network name) being broadcast or beaconing. However, once up and running you should turn your SSID beacon off.

mgmcc 23:36 22 May 05

As already suggested, you should configure the Wireless Network Adapters to connect to an "Ad Hoc" wireless network (which might also be described as Peer-to-Peer). SSID and Channel no. should be the same in both.

You will have to allocate IP addresses to the two adapters and this is done in the Network Connections folder. Right click the entry for the wireless adapter and select Properties, then highlight "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click the Properties button. Give the PCs individual IP addresses but the same subnet mask address:

Give PC1 the address 10.0.0.1 subnet 255.0.0.0

Give PC2 the address 10.0.0.2 subnet 255.0.0.0

TO SET UP NETWORK PRINTING:

1) Connect the printer to the “client” PC, as though it were to be used with that computer, and install it. This ensures that it has all the necessary software/drivers on board.

2) Reconnect it to the "host" PC and, in its Properties, set it as "shared". In the client’s "My Network Places" (or Network Neighborhood), the printer should then appear as a shared resource of the "host" PC along with any shared folders. Double clicking the printer in the remote PC should automatically install it as a "network printer" in the “client”. This means that the “client” now has the same printer installed twice – once as a “local” printer and again as a “network” printer (with a bar under the icon to indicate a network device). If you are always going to print via the network, you may want to set the "network printer" as the default.

Otherwise, have a look at this Microsoft article. It is an old article written for Windows 95, but the basic principle for installing the network printer should still be valid:

h t t p ://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;141839

sezzi1 00:47 27 May 05

I've tried to follow both of your instructions but I still can't get them connected, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I can get them scanning for nearby networks but I keep getting no networks in range even though they are on the addresses you have suggested. I have tried many times deleting all the set ups and starting from scratch but I just can't get it right. Sorry.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…