Wireless connection for a single PC

Kieron-173454 11:58 09 May 05

I'm moving to a flat where broadband cable connection isn't practical.

Can anyone suggest what the best wireless set up is with regard to cost and product.

I see that some people recommend the BT voyager 2100, but its capabilities seem bigger than what I require - and I don't want to pay more than I have to!

I will probably be subscribing to BT broadband BTW.

Thanks for your help.

Forum Editor 20:08 09 May 05

why you can't just connect a USB broadband modem directly to your computer? As you have only one machine this would be the simplest/cheapest option, assuming that the computer is a PC, and not a laptop.
If you have a laptop, or wish to move the PC around the flat however, you'll need a wireless router, and a wireless network asdapter for the computer. I tend to favour Netgear routers at the moment, but I have also used (and been very happy with) Belkin hardware. I have no personal experience of the BT Voyager 2100, but to be honest, a wireless router is a wireless router, is a wireless router - they all do much the same job.

Kieron-173454 08:40 10 May 05

Yes, I can't use a cable USB because the BT point is in an inconvenient place.

I have a PC, I assume ill need a PCI slot adapter/receiver and the transmitting device by the BT point?

What kind of price can I expect to pay for a mid range solution?

mgmcc 21:00 10 May 05

As the F.E. says, a Wireless Router is a Wireless Router. As you will be using ADSL broadband, you need a combined "Router/ADSL Modem" because you cannot use a USB modem with a router. The Netgear DG834G is a popular and generally easy to set up router.

The router connects directly to the phone socket, in place of the USB modem, and the PC requires a Wireless Network Adapter, either an internal PCI card or a USB WiFi Adapter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…