wireless connection to router

giles_l 15:43 11 Feb 07

I have just joined sky broadband (yes i know, not the best decision) and am having problems with the router. I can contact to it fine through the ethernet cable but when it is wireless, if all goes wrong.
Initially it was WPA enabled but the connection was constatly showing 'aquiring network address' so i took the security off to see if this would help and i managed to connect to the router (even though the icon on the bottom right of the screen remians unconnected!). However i can only stay on line for about 15 minutes before i need to reconnect again!!

Teh router is a netgear one.

Gongoozler 16:33 11 Feb 07

Have you tried using a different channel in case there is a conflict with a neighbour on the same channel?

giles_l 17:00 11 Feb 07

Yes i have changed the Channel.

Would it help if i register the mac address of my pc with the router?

Gongoozler 19:45 11 Feb 07

Hi giles_l. I'm not ignoring you, but my experience of using a modem router is very limited. I have recently bought a Netgear DG834G, and am awaiting delivery of a PCI Wireless card. When I get it, probably in the next day or two, I might be able to give more advice.

Dipso 21:31 11 Feb 07

Registering the MAC address is usually an additional security feature and not doing it shouldn't prevent you from accessing the wireless network.

Is the wireless signal dropping or is the wireless card/dongle losing the signal. If the latter do you have the latest drivers for the wireless card?

2neat 21:34 11 Feb 07

You need to setup security with your pc to router.
This will stop others connecting to your network.
My dad is on Sky BB & says its fine. When I visit I take my laptop & connect no probs for several hours. Let windows manage your wireless connection. Good luck

giles_l 21:35 11 Feb 07

The strength of the router remains strong i just lose the connection to it

giles_l 21:36 11 Feb 07

Windows is managing the connection and when i visit mt parents with the same router, i have no probolems!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5