wireless connection problems

Steve-200657 20:55 07 Mar 08

I have a 3com router (3CRWDR100A-72) running the latest firmware and their supplied wireless usb receiver is sucessfully transmitting the signal to my XP desktop upstairs. However, I have recently purchased a Vista laptop with built in wireless and am having difficulty connecting. Strangely, it appears that the further away from my router I go, the more likely I am to connect. If I sit next to the router, the laptop will not connect wirelessly. If I get a wireless connection in the garden, then carry the laptop into the front room (next to router), it remains connected. When I try to connect and run the diagnostic test, it says failed because of a timeout. It recognises the network, it just won't connect. Any suggestions as to why this may be.

Technotiger 21:12 07 Mar 08

I am not an expert in these things, but - have you tried changing Channels? Just a thought, that is all.

woodchip 21:14 07 Mar 08

You are having exactly the same problem I got with a Toshiba Laptop running Vista, It would only connect if Encryption in Router was Disabled. Took the Laptop Back to Currys and got my money back. I have since bought a HP with a Centrino CPU running XP Home. I now can connect with this one.

PS I spent a Week trying every thing to get it to connect with Encryption but it was a NO NO

woodchip 21:15 07 Mar 08

Forgot to say. It's the same router as yours

Steve-200657 21:19 07 Mar 08

Thanks for your replies. Technotiger - I've tried many different channels without sucess.

Woodchip - Do you think vista was the problem or the router. You say changing to XP resolved the problems, but did you try a different router with your Vista laptop.

woodchip 21:24 07 Mar 08

I think the Router as it as very high Encryption settings. Probably a Netgear may work. The 3Com and one of Belkin routers are same router, with another badge.

But also did not like Vista as I had problems with a lot's of my software.

Stuff that I run on Two Desktops one is 98se other XP Home, and two Laptops both running XP Home

Steve-200657 21:30 07 Mar 08

Thanks for reply. Think I may borrow another router and try that first.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…