wireless connection problems

Steve-200657 23:15 18 Jul 05

I am no techno boffin but I'll try and explain my problem. I have a 3com broadband modem with a 3com usb wireless receiver (they came together so I assume they are compatible). Once connected I had difficulty logging onto the internet each time my computer had been on standby or after a new start up. I discovered that there was a problem with the router with regard to 'always connected', so I downloaded and installed the firmware upgrade. Now when I access that web address that is four numbers seperated by .'s (that shows me the details of my router, I am always connected. However, I still have problems accessing the internet even though that web page informs me I am connected. I have to open the usb wireless receiver menu and keep having to 'refresh' and 'renew' some of the details before I can browse but even this is proving to be hit and miss. I hope someone knows what I'm on about and can give me some advice.

woodchip 23:25 18 Jul 05

AS the computer you use the USB wireless got a onboard Ethernt Connection? if it as you need to disable it in Devise Manager. So that it only looks at the USB connection

Steve-200657 09:36 19 Jul 05

Disabling the ethernet card has not helped, but I have a little more info. On the wireless receiver menu screen there is a menu called 'host infomation'. If I press this it brings up a window with four number series titled - 'host name', 'IP Address', 'subnet mask' and 'default gateway' with an option of 'releasing' or 'renewing'. I've noticed that sometimes there is no 'default gateway' and pressing 'renew' does not always give me one and this is when I can't access the internet. Any further advice.

woodchip 10:49 19 Jul 05

In your router settings, go to Internet Settings click on Next then check that All the relevent Info is in it like your User Name and Password, IP

assigned Automatic by ISP [YES]

Encapsulation [VCMUX]

Dial on Demand should have a tick in the box

Idle Time (Minute) [0]

MTU [1430]

Steve-200657 13:12 19 Jul 05

Thanx woodchip. I had to change the idle time and mtu to what you suggested. I've logged on and off a few times and it seems to be ok but in the past it has been ok for a few times and then stops again so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. By the way what is idle time and mtu.

woodchip 15:49 19 Jul 05

I also have a 3Com Firewall Router modem. and a Laptop card

woodchip 15:54 19 Jul 05

Press Help button, or just put query into Google

Steve-200657 16:40 19 Jul 05

It stopped working again. I seem to have located a specific problem when I can't connect - In the 3com menu screen for my wireless receiver, it seems to be consistant in that I have no 'default gateway' address and when I press 'renew' it is failing to give me one so I am having to restart the computer until I get a default gateway that then enables me to connect.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…