Wireless connection Problem

John-P 14:15 11 Oct 08

Hi,

I am having problems with my laptop and connecting to the internet wirelessly.

Its a compaq presario F504 laptop on windows vista home edition.

It had been working for the past year, until last weekend where it disconnected and I havent had been able to reconnect.

The wireless switch on the front of the computer is on, but the led is glowing red, whereas it used to be blue when it worked.

The only way I can connect now is by ethernet cable.
I would like to be able to use the wireless again.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks, John :)

brundle 14:17 11 Oct 08

See posts by `mgmcc` here click here

John-P 14:51 11 Oct 08

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I havent changed any of the settings, it just stopped working and hasnt worked since.

I typed in RUN what mgmcc said, but there are no profiles or networks.

When I seach for a network it says that no networks are available, and when I try to set up a new one it says the internet connectivity test was unsuccessful.

Heres some extra info, which may or may not be related to this problem, but in device manager, the 'Teredo Tunneling pseudo interface' says >>
'Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)'

Also when I try to open HP wireless assistant it will not open.
I have reinstalled the drivers, and hp wireless assistant through system restore but still no luck with the wireless connection.

brundle 14:54 11 Oct 08

Teredo is for tunneling IPv6 via IPv4, not likely to affect your internet connection.

If System Restore didn't work, remove and re-install the drivers and assistant. Turn off the wireless switch before removal.

John-P 17:23 11 Oct 08

To be honest im not sure which driver works the wireless and I which I should be removing and re-installing.

Would it be any of these?

Broadcom 802.11 Network Adaptor Driver

Broadcom Wireless LAN Driver - Vista (I would guess this one but dont want to cause anymore problems by doing the wrong thing)

HD Audio Soft Datafax Modem with Smart CP

nvidia Geforce chipset Driver

brundle 18:24 11 Oct 08

Broadcom Wireless LAN Driver - Vista and the HP Wireless assistant.

Whatever happens you will still be able to connect with an ethernet cable if you only remove drivers specifically related to wireless. You might want to download the latest version of the driver(s) before removal.

click here

There are 4 versions of your laptop so I'll let you choose the correct one. Then click "Software and Driver Downloads", then "Windows Vista", then scroll down to Network.

Broadcom Wireless LAN Driver for Microsoft Windows Vista
07-2007 6.00 » Version: 10.22M
» HP Wireless Assistant
01-2007 3.00 D » Version: 3.2M

brundle 18:25 11 Oct 08

Sorry non working link, try this

h t t p://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Lookup?h_lang=en&h_cc=us&cc=us&h_page=hpcom&lang=en&h_client=S-A-R163-1&h_pagetype=s-001&h_query=f504&submit.x=0&submit.y=0

Paste into your address bar and take out the spaces in http

John-P 18:52 11 Oct 08

Thanks for your help and the link.

I have uninstalled the HP wireless assistant,
how do I correctly un-install the Broadcom Wireless LAN Driver - Vista?

brundle 18:57 11 Oct 08

Is it not in Add/Remove Programs?
Go to the start orb and type

programs

in the empty search bar and wait for a moment; "Programs and Features" will appear in the start menu, click on it. Find the relevant entry, right click and select Uninstall.

John-P 19:05 11 Oct 08

Hmmm interesting, thats where I thought I should do it from but its not in there. I thought maybe I should be looking elsewhere as its a driver.

It doesn't show up in device manager either.
The reason I thought it should be there as in the recovery manager its on the list.

Does that mean its not already on my computer?

brundle 19:50 11 Oct 08

If it's not in the Programs & Features list and it was before (correct?) then removing the HP Assistant may have removed it too. You ought to be able to install the new driver over the top of the old one but it's best practice to remove old ones first. Just be entirely sure the software isn't still there and running (no wireless icons in the tray by the clock for example).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…