wireless connection problem

ex-wirecutter 12:48 28 Mar 08

Have just installed new wirless router on cable
server and after phoning Virgin they tell me it won't work because there is another wirless user nearby it wont work.
I am therefore having to use a direct cable connection to the modem. I have been given the option of phoning a pound a minute help line but that could cost a fortune.
When I check the wireless status it states limited connection at 58mbs but of course Icannot register the router ( Belkin ).
Using Vista by the way.

GEEKSTA 13:27 28 Mar 08

I dont think i understand your problem very well :S

Anyway i will tell you the basic connection link for using a router.

1. The main internet cable/tv cable should be going straight into your modem.
2. From your modem out port, there should be a wire going directly to you router.
3. Both of these must be on in order to work.
4. And now finally try and search for your router from you computer using the wireless card , which should be inside your computer.

woodchip 14:03 28 Mar 08

All you need do is Go into Router Setup page and turn on the Wireless Connection then go to Encryption. You should have a SSID first write this down as you need it for Laptop settings, When you choose Ecryption you choose what letters and Numbers you want to use, these you should also write down. Save and exit router Then start your Network setting in Control Panel look for you connection and choose connect then put the settings in when it asks for them

ex-wirecutter 16:43 28 Mar 08

Thanks both , I'm afraid your suggestions did not help as we had to phone Belkin ( in India )who said the installation disc had given us the wrong WAN MAC number(whatever that is ) so he gave us several until one eventually clicked and bingo ! Thanks anyway .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017