wireless connection problem

montoya 20:43 18 Feb 08

Having replaced my old desktop pc with a new one, I upgraded to wireless broadband as AOL said my old BT voyager broadband modem was incompatible with Vista. All is ok apart from one irritating problem. Whenever I want to connect to the net I switch on the Thompson Speedtouch 585 router and attempt to connect via Internet Explorer. I always get a message to say that a connection cannot be made. I have a Netgear WPN111 wireless adaptor and the only way I can seem to get connected is that I have to pull out the adaptor from the pc and then reinsert it , I can then get connected. Can anyone suggest what I can do to avoid having to do this every time I want to go online?

Kemistri 23:27 18 Feb 08

You boot the router while a client is already running? Not only should routers be powered as much as possible, but you're turning on your router and client in the wrong order if you expect to reliably achieve successful IP assignment. Some routers' DHCP servers may cope better with that treatment than others, but I can hardly recommend it. If you treat your network right, it should work better.

montoya 02:29 19 Feb 08

Sorry for being thick but you've lost me there. What is " a client"?

Kemistri 15:07 19 Feb 08
  Ashrich 23:45 20 Feb 08

What Kemistri is trying to say is " don't bother turning your wireless router off " they are designed to be left running all the time and it costs virtually nothing to leave on , it also means that as soon as you boot your PC it is connected immediately . If you start the laptop first , the adapter will already be looking for it's connection , which isn't there , turning the router will then present a signal and totally confuse the adapter hence your problems .

Ashley

Kemistri 00:07 21 Feb 08

Well no, I was not "trying to say" that one should not bother turning off a router. That should never present a problem if it is switched on correctly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…